PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell

The Dude
09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
It seems to me that Colin Powell would be a great nominee for the 2008 republican party. I think I've heard talk that he personally doesn't want the position, but I'm not completely sure. Can someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject inform me why he isn't talked about more for the nomination?

Toro
09-13-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that Colin Powell would be a great nominee for the 2008 republican party. I think I've heard talk that he personally doesn't want the position, but I'm not completely sure. Can someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject inform me why he isn't talked about more for the nomination?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no comment on your suggestion but I'll make this prediction. He won't be in the Bush Admin if there is a second term. I have a feeling he has no use for the guy and that the feeling is mutual.

Wahoo91
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
IIRC, Powell made a promise to his wife that he would never run for President due to her concerns about his (and his family) safety. I believe she told him that she would divorce him if he choose to run.

theBruiser500
09-13-2004, 03:39 PM
I don't get something Colin Powell just said. In regards to whether North Korea is developing nuclear weapons he said, "we won't reward them for something they shouldn't do anyway." When what I read in the paper (granted, this is my college paper) was that all N. Korea wanted was assurances that the US would not attack them. This hardly strikes me as a "reward." Moreover, why shouldn't N. Korea develop nuclear weapons? We attacked Iraq cause they can't defend themselves, if N. Korea didn't have weapons we'd probably attack them too. Besides, the US has nuclear weapons.

The Dude
09-13-2004, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but I'll make this prediction. He won't be in the Bush Admin if there is a second term.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't doubt that at all, but frankly Colin Powell is one of the few things I continue to like about the Bush administration.

The Dude
09-13-2004, 03:44 PM
why shouldn't N. Korea develop nuclear weapons?
Are you nuts?

We attacked Iraq cause they can't defend themselves, if N. Korea didn't have weapons we'd probably attack them too.
You're a little off here, my friend.

Besides, the US has nuclear weapons.
That doesn't change the fact that it would incredibly bad for everyone if N. Korea developed their own.

Wahoo91
09-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Why Colin Powell will not run for president (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2501097.stm)

benfranklin
09-13-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I've heard talk that he personally doesn't want the position...

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a prerequisite for being a candidate. We need some sort of draft system. Wanting to be president should be an automatic disqualification on the basis of being mentally deficient

benfranklin
09-13-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why Colin Powell will not run for president (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2501097.stm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote from article:

[ QUOTE ]
His wife has supported him through his career, while remaining away from the public eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs. Kerry, please note.

Utah
09-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I absolutely hate Powell. I would take Kerry over him. In fact, I hate his so much I would volunteer for the opposition.

He is nothing but a wuss career military man that is on the wrong side of every issue and he screws up everything he touches.

The Dude
09-13-2004, 04:50 PM
You are in the heavy minority on this, I believe. I have talked with a bunch of people about Powell (both parties), and he is generally well-liked.

Knockwurst
09-13-2004, 04:54 PM
I see we agree again. Powell is the only Republican of national prominence that I could vote for.

The reason he won't run in 2008 is because he is on the wrong side of too many hot button issues for the GOP rank and file. He is pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, pro-assault weapons ban, he's stated that knowing what we know now, he would be against going into Iraq.

If the GOP doesn't want him, I'm sure the Democrats could find room for him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.R.
09-13-2004, 05:07 PM
North Korea needs food for its people, not assurances. Its nuclear program is a call to attention.

MMMMMM
09-13-2004, 07:15 PM
"North Korea needs food for its people, not assurances. Its nuclear program is a call to attention."

Very true. North Korean civilians are starving and many are even forced to eat insects in the streets.

There are however two major problems:

1) the regime itself, which stockpiled two year' worth of food and oil for the military while its citizens were literally starving, and

2) its failed communist economy, which has no hope of saving itself or the country.

The only answer, to both the food crisis and the security crisis, is regime change. I don't suggest that this is feasiblle at this time.

ericd
09-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Date of birth 4/5/1937. He would be almost 72 when he would take office. That doesn't eliminate him but does make it seem pretty remote.