PDA

View Full Version : 88, maybe a little too fancy

prayformojo
09-13-2004, 02:03 PM
No strong reads, except that SB has raised far more than his share (>20%) of pots pre-flop through the 50 hands I've seen him play.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Mojo is UTG+2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Mojo calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Mojo calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Mojo bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Mojo calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Mojo checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Mojo raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (14 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Mojo bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Is the turn check/raise a bit too much? Should I have bet into the flop raiser to protect my hand and avoid giving a free card to a flush draw?

IndieMatty
09-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Unless SB has been showing down garbage, I'm probably checking and folding here. You had pretty much a one outer that hit on the turn..seems like the 8 of spades would hurt you too. Other then that, I'd probably bet out the turn.

prayformojo
09-13-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Checking and folding where? SB checked the flop.

MaxPower
09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't know, but I just have to say I love the name prayformojo. Everytime I see it I picture that monkey typing on the little computer.

Perhaps if you bet out on the turn, you would have had a chance to 3-bet it. I don't know.

The real question is your flop play. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Yeknom58
09-13-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't bet this flop, I would check the flop and fold to any bet. Assuming I did see the turn (which I probably wouldn't) I would be tempted to CR but I would still lead the turn because I don't think people actually know that they can sometimes only call with a flush draw on the flop. And who know you might get to 3 bet.

You don't have the 8s, this is a flush draw board, MP3 and the button still have to act, and if you ask me the SB stinks of a CR. Easy easy check on the the flop.

All-In
09-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Check and fold the flop. You're over a 20-1 underdog to hit your set.

prayformojo
09-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I knew the flop bet would take some heat, but is there any acknowledgment at all for the possibility that I could have been ahead on the flop, and if not ahead, that I could have folded out a weakly played 99, TT or even JJ. I'm not saying the flop bet was correct; I'm just wondering why it seems to be assumed that I am beaten and have to catch a set to win.

Fnord
09-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Bad board to bet into with 8s and 5 players seeing the flop. You must fold to the raise. Nice catch, fish! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Danenania
09-13-2004, 03:32 PM
I see no problem with betting this after the pre-flop raiser checks. In fact, it would be pretty automatic for me. I'm not going to automatically give a bunch of loose limpers credit for having the A.

When raised, however, I'm not even sticking around to see the turn. I'd fold it right there on the flop.

prayformojo
09-13-2004, 03:32 PM
All right, I'll let this one go. I do find it much more easy to agree with folding to the flop raise, than with not betting the flop at all. Calling the raise was clearly an error, but I still think the flop bet was borderline.

Button had AKo and SB had 7h2h. Apparently they got their hands mixed up pre-flop.

IndieMatty
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I guess, to be clearer, why did you take a stab at this pot? You still called the buttons raise right? Are you telling us you would have folded those 8's if SB bet out?

I'm probably being weak here, but I would not bet into this flop, (a check from SB is badplayerese for "I have a big Ace or Aces"; So I look at that board, realize theres one card to help me, don't bet, the button would then bet, and I would fold.

You did the best with your actions, I just hope you realize that you probably drew to one card here.

On a side note, I had a very similar hand the other day, I flopped my set of 7's, (so did the raiser who slowplayed his J's) and then my quad hit the river also completing the 4 flush for the others; So, luck is g00t.

prayformojo
09-13-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess, to be clearer, why did you take a stab at this pot? You still called the buttons raise right? Are you telling us you would have folded those 8's if SB bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have folded if SB had bet out. If he had, it would have been likely enough that I was beat and drawing to one out with two opponents left to act. When SB did not bet out, and BB checked, with two limpers left I took a stab at the pot because there was a chance that I had the best hand or could fold out a better hand other than an ace. I know that low limit players love to play Ax; I just don't feel the need to give them credit for it every hand.

I should have folded to the button's raise, but didn't. As I said, I think this is a much bigger error than betting out.

IndieMatty
09-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Agreed 100%. I just know that very few have the ability to "take a stab at it" and the fold to a 1SB re-raise.

Note #2: Players who I do see fold to 1SB re-raise, either preflop or post flop, are almost always players I respect more at the Party tables...all 4 of them.

MaxPower
09-13-2004, 04:01 PM
I have no problem taking a stab at the pot. The more players left to act behind you, the more difficult it is going to be to fold everyone out. Two players is about the maximum.

When you are raised, I think you should call one bet. The pot is already pretty large and there is some possibility that the button is raising for free card or that a scare card will come that will stop him from betting the turn.