PDA

View Full Version : Early in PS 215 Sunday event -- QQ

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
I have only played one online tournament prior to this one where the entry was over $50. I have played a couple of live tournaments in this price range. Fair to say that my experience at this level is limited. I won this seat in a satellite that I played on a whim earlier in the week.

Anyway, it is very early in the tournament. Maybe 10 hands in. I am in the cutoff and get dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I still have approximately my full stack (2500). Blinds are still 10/20.

Two limpers to me. I make it 80 to go. One caller in EP with about 100 more chips than me. Everyone else folds. This player has limped (or tried to limp) into several of the hands already.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP bets 300. I raise to 900. He reraises me to 1500.

Comments on my play and what I should do...

SossMan
09-13-2004, 02:00 PM
fold. it sucks, but i can't see him making this small reraise with anything that you can beat except JJ/TT. I put him on a flopped set or 89 for two pair. It sure feels like you are getting trapped. I don't think he would have made that little reraise w/ a flush or st8 draw...he probably would have pushed or called.
It's a long tourney, and it sucks to fold an overpair on the flop, but the betting sure makes it look like you are behind here, especially if your opponent has a propensity to limp in and see many flops.

It hurts me to say it, but I'm cutting bait here, you still have 1500 (75xBB) which is plenty stack to work it back up.

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the response. I have found your opinions on other threads (and here) very helpful.

Any opinion on my raise? Do you thing the size is appropriate given the cards, the range of hands my opponent might have and the size of our stacks? I have gotten pretty good at playing NL cash games (usually the $100 buy ins) but I am not sure if I am adjusting appropriately to the circumstances of a freezeout tournament.

I will post the results of the hand later on...

SossMan
09-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the response. I have found your opinions on other threads (and here) very helpful.

thanks for the compliment.

Any opinion on my raise? Do you thing the size is appropriate given the cards, the range of hands my opponent might have and the size of our stacks?

I would have played it the same exact way.

I will post the results of the hand later on...

uh oh...sounds like you called...hope you sucked out /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Since I am not getting any further comments...

[ QUOTE ]
Any opinion on my raise? Do you thing the size is appropriate given the cards, the range of hands my opponent might have and the size of our stacks?

I would have played it the same exact way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I stopped posting with the part I felt I did right... For some reason I felt strongly that this guy was betting TPTK (or very good kicker) or a flush draw. I refused to give him credit for a better hand.

So, of course, I called. Turn was a rag. He checked. I pushed. He thought long and hard... used most of his time bank... and called... with 89o.

No help on the river and I bust out early.

Bright side: I wasn't stuck in front of my computer like all those poker addicts /images/graemlins/wink.gif -- It was a nice day in New York and the pool is heated -- so I went for a swim while listening to the football game. /images/graemlins/cool.gif (not so bright side: The Giants got their butts kicked. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)