PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Tournament of Champions winner

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
In an article in yesterdays New York Daily News, the writer talks about the Tournament of Champions filmed earlier this month and states that:

[ QUOTE ]
Within hours of its conclusion, word swept through Las Vegas poker rooms - [PLAYER XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] had captured the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to know who he claims it is, here is a link to the article (http://tinyurl.com/4fnax). I have not seen this posted on any poker website and I haven't found it here (although I haven't looked very hard). Does anybody know if the winner has been leaked? I find it surprising that it isn't all over the place if it has.

C

riverflush
09-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Dave over at bigslicknews.com (http://bigslicknews.com) has alluded to the rumors, including that NY Daily News article. I'm pretty sure he knows who won but isn't going confirm anything, he was pretty hooked in to the selection of the players - including the flap over Negreanu. He had the list of players up on his site before I saw them anywhere else.

I emailed him about the TOC, but he's being pretty coy about it.

Jaraim
09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I could swear a certain well-known poker pro posted on his site that he won the event.

I'm not going to reveal who posted that unless you PM me and ask specifically for it. (or if you bother to search the archives)

The4thFilm
09-13-2004, 11:10 PM
No way, you think he'd risk $2million to boost his ego on an internet messageboard?

riverflush
09-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Was it this poker pro? (http://bigslicknews.com/philsite.jpg)

Desdia72
09-14-2004, 04:20 PM
i read a post from Greg Raymer in another TOC thread in which he said that he knew won and that we would'nt like it.
the two pros who probably get blasted the most on 2+2 were in that tournament, Annie Duke and Phil Hellmuth.

Greg (FossilMan)
09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
I did not make that post. Somebody else did, though I can't recall who, nor even what thread it was. I probably posted within that thread, but did not say I knew who won, nor will I say what I know.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-14-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not make that post. Somebody else did, though I can't recall who, nor even what thread it was. I probably posted within that thread, but did not say I knew who won, nor will I say what I know.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN has you locked down tight with a non-disclosure agreement, I assume.

In the words of Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing! NOTHING!"

PITTM
09-14-2004, 04:38 PM
damn, he really must not want 2 million dollars.

rj

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i read a post from Greg Raymer in another TOC thread in which he said that he knew won and that we would'nt like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Greg states below (above?), he did not make this comment about the eventual winner of the ToC. Indeed, the post that said that we were not going to like the results was by a user named "Wetleg". Greg is in the clear.

09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the two pros who probably get blasted the most on 2+2 were in that tournament, Annie Duke and Phil Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that post, not Greg.

Desdia72
09-14-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that post, not Greg.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did'nt know that it was such a big deal. if i remember correctly, was'nt his [Greg's] name in the thread? either way, it does'nt take a genius to deduce that the two pros who get the most criticism on 2+2 is Annie and Phil. when i read the comment in that other thread, i thought, "if we're not gonna like who won, then WHY? obviously if Greg won, the whole 2+2 would be skewing seafood kabobs at a clambake by now. it can't be Fischman, another pro who gets the Russian Sickle in these forums. who else could it be?" then i thought about all the threads where Annie was getting dissed (involving the WSOP) or when Phil cries about bad beats and bad players. once again, i apologize to Greg-- no harm meant-- but if this situation is that serious, i would'nt be coming on any poker forum saying, "i know who won and/or but you're not gonna like it". in this instance, because of the negative threads started about these two players in these forums, i was able to narrow it down.

nolanfan34
09-14-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
once again, i apologize to Greg-- no harm meant-- but if this situation is that serious, i would'nt be coming on any poker forum saying, "i know who won and/or but you're not gonna like it".

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the thread? Greg never said anything about the forum not liking the result. That quote was posted by someone else.

Desdia72
09-14-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
once again, i apologize to Greg-- no harm meant-- but if this situation is that serious, i would'nt be coming on any poker forum saying, "i know who won and/or but you're not gonna like it".

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the thread? Greg never said anything about the forum not liking the result. That quote was posted by someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan, we've already gotten that established. the poster that made the remark already owned up to it, that's why i apologized to Greg. my response about coming up in these forums talking about, "i know who won and/ot but you're not gonna like it" was directed at that poster. it's pretty easy to come to a dead-to-rights winner from that remark when people in these forums dissed the aforementioned two players so much around the TOC and WSOP.

nolanfan34
09-14-2004, 06:56 PM
OK, I misunderstood your post. Point taken.

TakeMeToTheRiver
09-15-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan, we've already gotten that established. the poster that made the remark already owned up to it, that's why i apologized to Greg. my response about coming up in these forums talking about, "i know who won and/ot but you're not gonna like it" was directed at that poster. it's pretty easy to come to a dead-to-rights winner from that remark when people in these forums dissed the aforementioned two players so much around the TOC and WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not "that serious" to anyone other than Greg and the other participants who (I believe) are contractually obligated NOT to divulge any information about the game. If some other person heard a rumor and hinted about it, there is nothing serious about it. You made it serious by claiming that Greg hinted about the winner when he had not. Greg made sure to clear that up quickly so that he was not in violation of the contract (which I presume will penalize him for talking about the Tournament before it is aired on TV). Of course, if my presumptions are incorrect, Greg can correct me after the show next Tuesday.