PDA

View Full Version : Who else makes this 3-bet?

jrobb83
09-13-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't remember any specific reads. Usually a turn raise is an indicator of a very strong hand, but as aggro as Party 2/4 has been lately I decided that my hand was strong enough here for a 3 bet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (14 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font>

sthief09
09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I tend to hold a lot of respect for turn bets. the guy limped in from MP, he called th eflop, and raised the turn when a 3 paired. I'd be putting him on trips. I think 3-betting is generally a bad idea here.

MoreWineII
09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I like it, much more so than your other post.

Does a MP player limp PF and call the flop with a 3? Possible, but doubtful.

Do PP players *love* to raise when a "scare" card hits? Yes.

That adds up to a turn 3-bet vs. an unknown to me.

jrobb83
09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, this 3-bet is far more debatable. Looking back on it my other one was very clearly wrong, even against a LAG.

If the middle pair gets matched on the turn, no way I'd 3-bet.

MoreWineII
09-13-2004, 12:37 PM
In this hand, I suspect opponent was trying to knock you off of AK probably with QJ, Q-10, something like that. Maybe you even chop. I just don't expect to see a 3, KK, AA often enough here to really fear it.

TripleH68
09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
With a rainbow board the semi-bluff bet from MP1 is more likely. That makes the three bet a better play as you are charging hands like KQ, QJ, JT or a pocket pair...and the only reasonable hand you fear is A3 or 99. Plus CO has shown no aggression so JT or T9 is likely there.

Yeknom58
09-13-2004, 02:00 PM
With no reads I would tend to not 3 bet here but opt to call the raise but still bet the river.

Not to get off your question but this is a perfect spot for a CR.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-13-2004, 02:07 PM
The raise on the turn likely had nothing to do with the three. If I were MP1, that's exactly how I'd play a pair that flopped a set. If MP1 is "BigBeitzim" the turn raise means I've got either 33 or 99, and you've lost the hand /images/graemlins/cool.gif. Of course, you'll call me down to be sure of it. You may even three-bet me on the turn and lead out on the river. Given that MP1 just calls the river, I suspect 1) He does not have 99 or 33; and 2) He's not me.

jrobb83
09-13-2004, 09:13 PM
When I made the three-bet on the turn, here what was going through my mind:

The game had been very aggressive, and I thought that it was more likely MP1 had something like QJ and was calling BS on my AK or AJ. And the CO was in there calling, calling, calling. If it was heads up I would have called down. But I thought I could make enough extra profit from the CO that I had to go for the three-bet.

MP1 ended up having Q7s, and CO some peice of trash, and I take it down.

I'm still not sure if I like the 3-bet though, I'd like it a lot more if I had a read on MP1.

MoreWineII
09-13-2004, 09:58 PM
My mind-set tends to be the opposite, unknown Party Poker player is pegged as LAGish until he proves otherwise. This hand is a perfect example of why.

cnfuzzd
09-13-2004, 11:21 PM
i would make this three bet nearly everytime unless i had a read on mp being a good player. Then i miight consider just calling and leading the river.

peace

john nickle

Luv2DriveTT
09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
As usual, I am the only person advocating the check-raise on the turn to represent trips. You are in a bad position, and since you showed the early agression it is likely that one of the two opponents will bet if you check. When you hit them with the raise, run if one of them three bets against you.

However since you played the hand straight, I LOVE the 3 bet! Learn now if you are beat, your opponents call says loud and strong that you may have the best hand!

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

TheHip41
09-14-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who else makes this 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. Most of the time this happens, I get shown a worse Q.

TheHip41
09-14-2004, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As usual, I am the only person advocating the check-raise on the turn to represent trips. You are in a bad position, and since you showed the early agression it is likely that one of the two opponents will bet if you check. When you hit them with the raise, run if one of them three bets against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think representing trips will work since he raised preflop. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just don't think they will buy it.

[ QUOTE ]
I LOVE the 3 bet! Learn now if you are beat, your opponents call says loud and strong that you may have the best hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a matter of learning if you are beat. This is a matter of punishing weak hands. If you get capped, you can't fold, you just check/call the river and curse the 3. This 3-bet is purely for value against a retarded opponent.