PDA

View Full Version : NFL Week #1

Toro
09-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Week #1 is in the books, except of course for MNF. Who looked good to you? I can't find a great team, looks like parity city to me. Most games were settled by less than a TD with no real blowouts. Of course, didn't see all the games so anyone want to tout their team?

vulturesrow
09-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Even though it was a tight game, I though the Redskins looked good. In my circle of friends Ive been saying Portis was the real deal, i.e., not just a system back, for some time. He seemed to have no problems with Gibb's famed running between the tackles game.

I though Cleveland looked surprisingly good. I am not calling on them to win it all or anything, but I pretty much though Baltimore would stomp them pretty good. Maybe Garcia is the real deal.

I didnt get to see a lot and am still catching up on recaps but these two sprang to mind.

adios
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Not to start another is Culpepper over rated thread but I though he had an outstanding game yesterday. Speaking of the Browns vs. Ravens I thought the Ravens offense was horrid more than the Browns looked good. Quentin Griffen made the Chiefs run defense look really bad so my KC pick doesn't look too good if the Chiefs don't play better D. I also thought Seattle was impressive given that they were 2-6 on the road last year and won a road game in a tough place to play in a convincing manner.

mistrpug
09-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Allow me to be a homer for a second and talk about the Eagles. That was some game yesterday

The offense was amazing. They might be as good as the Rams offense was a few years ago. Their defense though looked pretty bad to me against a pretty bad Giants offense.

Those are my thoughts. I'd be curious to see what people on the national level think about that (i.e. with my hometown bias).

vulturesrow
09-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Damn I actually watched that game and forgot all about it. Yeah if McNabb and TO can keep that connection going, they are going to be scary good. Pretty much agree with what you said in regards to the defense. But the Eagles definitely looked good.

Chris

The Dude
09-13-2004, 03:36 PM
The team that caught my eye was the Seahawks. Their passing game didn't look particularty dominating, but there's really very little doubt about how good the Hawks are there. Shaun Alexander looked great, but the most impressive thing I saw was their defensive line.

They actually had pressure on Aaron Brooks the whole game, which was very rare for them last year. Their secondary is very talented (although not particularty deep), and if their DL can keep putting pressure on opposing QBs like that, they will be very tough to beat.

With a fantastic offensive line, a great passing game, and solid backs, their offense is guranteed to be among the very top in the league. The question mark for Seattle will be their defense. And if they keep applying pressure like that and causing so many turnovers, watch out.

The other team that looked really good was Minnesota. Defense was a little shaky, but man they just dominated.

Indiana played a great game, but as usual everything went wrong vs. New England. The Colts were definately the better team this week, as long as we're not being results oriented.

ddollevoet
09-13-2004, 05:28 PM
AFC:

A lot of people will probably rip me a new one, but I liked how the Colts looked.

Yes, I know they lost to New England, but they turned over the ball 3 times in the red zone. Manning looked good. James looked good. Receivers other than Harrison looked good.

I couldn't tell if their defense was that bad or if Brady was that good though. Time will tell.

NFC:

It is hard to argue with the performance of the Vikings and Eagles.

J.R.
09-13-2004, 05:48 PM
I though Cleveland looked surprisingly good. I am not calling on them to win it all or anything, but I pretty much though Baltimore would stomp them pretty good. Maybe Garcia is the real deal.

Cleveland had no offense, Garcia only found two wide open throws down the middle when Ed Reed and then Will Demps both mistakenly released a receiver down the middle with no one providing deep coverage. These went for 46 and 51 yards. Take these two mistakes (neither was a well thrown ball, each was just a complete defensive meltdown) and Garcia's bad numbers shine thru. Baltimore consistently put Cleveland in 3 and long and left the short passes open as they have excellent tacklers amongst their linebackers and secondary. This means Garcia compeletd a lot of 3rd down passes but they did not result in first downs. He only threw for 180, over half of which came in the two coverage breakdown plays.

Cleveland's defensive line and linbackers played very well, they got into the backfield and plugged the holes, although the absence of Jonathan Odgen and Boller's failure to establish himself as a viable passer had much to do with this. Cleveland's secondary was poor but was masked in large part by Boller's inability to throw the ball accurately (which is similar to Deon Sanders' poor coverage on at least 2 if not 3 of his nickle downs). An example is Henri interception, which occurred because Boller put the ball in a spot where only the Henri could catch it instead of getting it out there where only his receiver could catch the ball. Cleveland has a lot to prove to me.

jwvdcw
09-13-2004, 07:13 PM
my power rankings after week 1(MNF not included yet):

1.NE
2.Philly
3.Seattle
4.Minnesota
5.Tennessee
6.Carolina
7.Denver
8.Indy
9.NY Jets
10.Washington
11.Green Bay
12.KC
13.Cleveland
14.St Louis
15.Pittsburgh
16.San Diego
17.Atlanta
18.Jacksonville
19.Baltimore
20.Cincy
21.Detroit
22.Oakland
23New Orleans
24.Dallas
25.Buffalo
26.Chicago
27.TB
28.SF
29.Arizona
30.Houston
31.NY Giants
32.Miami

Dominic
09-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Freakin' &*$!@#%! Bills

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BadBoyBenny
09-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Didn't that Pat's start 0-2 last year, getting blown out by the Bills?

So the first week is no talays any knid of indicator. Anyway, my Steelers gave me some hope. The O-Line pushed around Ted Washington and Sapp, and Dick Lebeau brought a serious defense. Yes the secondary can be pourous, but they forced several fumbles that bounced right back to the Raiders. With Baltimore's poor showing so far, the division will be theirs.