PDA

View Full Version : Mensa quote of the evening, from PSI show 9/12

Easy E
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Whoever said this should give up announcing poker analysis forever: It went something like

"Gus plays best when he's behind" (AFTER he covered an all-in Phil Ivey with the worst hand)

amazing...

willie
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
a brilliant comment. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Daliman
09-13-2004, 11:42 AM
yeah, but as stupid as it is, it's oddly true. How many times have you seen him win a 40/60 or worse, and conversely, how often do you see HIM sucked out on? I dont think i can recall a single instance where he got allin preflop and lost worse than a coinflip.

JARID
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoever said this should give up announcing poker analysis forever: It went something like

"Gus plays best when he's behind" (AFTER he covered an all-in Phil Ivey with the worst hand)

amazing...

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this too. I think it was Chris Rose. It doesn't matter though. All three of those guys are below average poker commentators. Heck, I think one of the other announcers even agreed with the above comment.

-Jarid

Easy E
09-13-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but as stupid as it is, it's oddly true.

[/ QUOTE ]

...before I have you banned from 2+2 as unworthy.

Reread my post and think about it again.

benfranklin
09-13-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but as stupid as it is, it's oddly true.

[/ QUOTE ]

...before I have you banned from 2+2 as unworthy.

Reread my post and think about it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with the announcers that Gus plays the post-all-in phase of the game better than most pros playing today. Perhaps he should write a book on post-all-in strategy.

Part of this, of course, is a function of starting hand selection. By avoiding the obvious starting hands, such as high cards and big suited connectors, Gus is rarely dominated by hands like AK in an all-in situation. These hands are much easier to play post-all-in.

ohgeetee
09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I think the quote was "Gus plays best from behind" making it sound even worse than your quote, heh heh.

the number of people in this thread that missed the point of your post is pretty hilarious.

Leo99
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM
I heard that last night and didn't think it made much sense. I find the whole PSI show boring. Even the players look bored. Does anyone else find it boring?

Easy E
09-13-2004, 01:46 PM
great answer! /images/graemlins/grin.gif