PDA

View Full Version : Yet another example of poker hitting the mainstream

Analyst
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Fry's, a west coast electronics chain selling everything from resistors and 7400 series logic chips all the way up to plasma TVs, now carries the ubiquitous aluminum-cased 11.5g poker chip set. It was included in a recent ad, right next to the 250GB hard drive (only $110 after rebates!) and the motherboard/processor combo for under $100. Guess they're giving you a choice between playing live at home or building a PC and playing on-line.

bwana devil
09-13-2004, 10:59 AM
interesting. how many chips is included in that set?

sfer
09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Fry's rules. They cater to a geeky, bargain oriented Silicon Valley crowd and are remarkably savvy at targeting to their audience. For example, having palettes of soda and ramen adjacent to the checkout line.

bwana devil
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
They've also crept their way into the midwest. A fry's opened in Austin a couple of years ago. I've gone there before, but just don't hop around the store drooling like some of my other friends. I feel like I'm missing out.

random
09-13-2004, 08:17 PM
I bought my coffee maker there. There are, I think, three in Dallas.

bromad1972
09-13-2004, 11:39 PM
also, to add to the original posters intent, coming in November: World Championship Poker for xbox, ps2, gamecube and gameboy advance.

Get the kids started early!!

( the realy sad thing is that I own all those systems /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Barry
09-14-2004, 12:36 AM
More like the "geekstream". Are the chips inscribed in leet?

Analyst
09-14-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More like the "geekstream". Are the chips inscribed in leet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pleased (or p1e4s3d) to say that I had to look up "leet", though that could be more a reflection of age rather than any non-geek-status.

herrkurtz
09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
if you're going to say it, it really is l33t. that's what these kids are all about these days. 8 tabling l33t fools.

Blarg
09-15-2004, 11:08 PM
You mean l337, I take it.

Fry's is where I always tell people to go get those 100 buck 19-inch monitors. I've even seen them selling them for $89 before. I bought two of them when they were still around $170 or so on sale, and they've lasted for years.

Last week they had a 1.5 Pentium-M laptop with a 15-inch screen for $799. It was only like 1024 x 768 or something, but what the hey, that's a helluva cheap price for a Pentium-M. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but at that price I almost got it...before it sold out. But I didn't. You've gotta move fast on some of their sales.

Their online version is www.outlet.com. (http://www.outlet.com.) Never ordered online from them, but their stores definitely are a total geek paradise. Pretty cool science-based kid toys, too.

Analyst
09-15-2004, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Their online version is www.outlet.com. (http://www.outlet.com.) .

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually www.outpost.com. (http://www.outpost.com); but the selection isn't as good as you get in the B&M store - for example, I couldn't find the poker chips!

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-18-2004, 11:57 AM
"In an effort to get people to remember our name, Outpost.com, we contacted the local high school marching band and asked them to help us out. And to help make this memorable, we decided to release a pack of ravenous wolves. (laughs) That's good stuff."

Brilliant.

You've also gotta love the one where they're firing the gerbils out of a cannon trying to shoot them through the O in Outpost.com. I've got 'em both on my hard drive.