PDA

View Full Version : ATs against a weird line

Fnord
09-13-2004, 05:10 AM
Table is a mix of tight passives and TAgs, no specific read on CO. Was planning to leave when this hand came...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Fnord is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Fnord raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Fnord calls.

<font color="blue"> Oh crap, no draws so I'm likely outkicked.</font>

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Fnord checks, CO checks.

<font color="blue">Ick, check/fold.... errr?!?!</font>

River: (5.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Fnord calls.

<font color="blue"> Ok, maybe I'm good, WTF?!?!</font>

Snoogins47
09-13-2004, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Table is a mix of tight passives and TAgs, no specific read on CO. Was planning to leave when this hand came...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Fnord is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Fnord raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Fnord calls.

<font color="blue"> Oh crap, no draws so I'm likely outkicked.</font>

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Fnord checks, CO checks.

<font color="blue">Ick, check/fold.... errr?!?!</font>

River: (5.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Fnord calls.

<font color="blue"> Ok, maybe I'm good, WTF?!?!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate hands like that, where you just feel confused the whole way.

I figure him on A8, 88, or 66, but of course we can't discount anything here, it's party $2/$4 after all.

But who knows... the check-behind the turn thing is pretty slick, actually, if he knows you're aggressive and will undoubtedly bet the river, since he's got position on you, and might figure you're going to check-fold on the turn. If you're planning on check-calling, he makes two bets when he's ahead this way.

If you planned on check-folding, as you did, he probably squeezed an extra two bets out of you.

I'm really curious on the results here. I don't expect your hand was good, but I think I might make the crying call on the river as well.

Alobar
Man I wouldnt know weather to call the river raise, id almost have to just to see WTF he had. I'm guessing he flopped a set has AQ or something and was worried youd fold the turn, so he got you to bet instead.

Garland
I would have 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. If he 4-bets the flop, then back down and just call.

You have the 4th best kicker. There are 6 other kickers you beat (which don't match the board) and you tie the 10. I'd say your hand is pretty darn good.

Based on the action, it's very likely your opponent has A6. Maybe he decided to get cute with a gutshot 57?

Garland

Snoogins47
09-13-2004, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. If he 4-bets the flop, then back down and just call.

You have the 4th best kicker. There are 6 other kickers you beat (which don't match the board) and you tie the 10. I'd say your hand is pretty darn good.

Based on the action, it's very likely your opponent has A6. Maybe he decided to get cute with a gutshot 57?

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 57 is a possibility here too, that I didn't even consider somehow, even though that screams semi-bluff + take the free card on the turn.

Alobar
09-13-2004, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A6 actually makes alot of sense for the way he played it. Raise the flop cuz hes got an ace, check the turn cuz hes scared youll checkraise, planning to just call the river, and then he pairs his 6 and lets it rip. I have a hard time believing someone cold calls with 57 and raises the guyshot for the free card, but then its party, so who knows.

Fnord
09-13-2004, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 57 is a possibility here too, that I didn't even consider somehow, even though that screams semi-bluff + take the free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing to semi-bluff or buy a cheap card with, that's what had me confused. It could be some pocket pair looking for cheap showdown or checking me for an Ace??? So I guess A6 and 66 fits...

Fnord
09-13-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting line, thanks. If you were certain you were dealing with a fairly tight/passive opponent, what would be your line?

TripleH68
09-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Working it backwards...the only hand that makes any sense is A-weak kicker or pocket pair looking for cheap showdown.

Fnord
09-13-2004, 05:45 AM
CO Has A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

Much head scratching and MHING /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Does his line have any merit? Would anyone here run it, and if so when? He got 2BB more out of me than I was going to give him....

TripleH68
09-13-2004, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does his line have any merit? Would anyone here run it, and if so when? He got 2BB more out of me than I was going to give him....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you follow through on your raises, then fold on the turn often enough...I might try this. But only on occasion and I am a little goofy. The bigger benefit for me would be to have you scratching your head... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ThePimpulator
09-13-2004, 06:08 AM
I can only think that he put you on less than an Ace. Given it was just three handed on the flop may be he thought you were giving it a go with middle pair and was worried you were check folding the turn.

Alexthegreat
09-13-2004, 06:45 AM
I've used the exact line he used more than a few times before....he probably puts you on an A with a weak kicker, and doesn't want you to fold the turn......It's a good line, usually earns one extra bet, sometimes two.....I use it heads up when I have a solid read or I think I have the nuts

Fnord
09-13-2004, 07:36 PM
*bump* curious what the day shift thinks...