PDA

View Full Version : Party $2/$4... is it just me?

Snoogins47
09-13-2004, 04:33 AM
hey all, I was playing most $1/$2 and doing pretty well, stats pointless to post here..

I worked up to an adequate BR for $2/$4, and I'm playing my first session now...

Is it just the tables I'm at, or are these games consistently EXTREMELY aggressive compared to 1/2?

It's just plain nutty, so far.

RPatterson
09-13-2004, 04:47 AM
I don't remember 1/2, but the 2/4 guys suck so hard. Don't sweat it. These idiots will cold call with Kx. Enjoy.

Alobar
09-13-2004, 05:02 AM
I dont think there is much diff between 2/4 and 1/2. 2/4 is full of very bad players, most of them I wouldnt classify as aggresive. Use table selection if you are having problems. I suspect its mostly just the psychological effect of moving up limits and everything is now worth twice as much.

Snoogins47
09-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Granted, there's definitely a psychological undertone to all this. Almost invariably, it takes me a few hundred/up to 1K or so hands before I really start feeling comfortable at a limit, regardless of my results.

I probably just ended up at a table with five LAGs, as opposed to the usual 3 I saw at the other tables. But really, I had never seen so many people trying to get cute as I did at $1/$2. Smooth call the flop, check-raise the turn with second pair, no kicker, after I raised coming in, and led the flop on a Q high board with no draws... just things that had me scratching my head.

I think I'm just running into more "I thought you had AK" syndrome than I was before. Oh well, more random aggression = more profit, BRING ON THE VARIANCE!

akira
09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
I just switched to 2/4 at Empire as well, and it seemed much more aggressive to me too. Always raised preflop, and it also seems like people randomly cap the flop with just about anything.. I can never tell what kind of hand they have..

I haven't been doing too well at 2/4 though - I've played for 2 weeks now.. I seem to start every session with a $100 loss and end up working to get back to even the rest of the session.. I think I'm going to stop multitabling for a while and try to get some better reads.. Anyone have any other tips such as table selection or anything else to help the transition to 2/4?