PDA

View Full Version : 30+3 SnG: How to get better at Heads-up play when shortstacked?

AA suited
09-13-2004, 12:11 AM
I follow Aleo's 10+1 SnG guide. when i'm ITM, i'm usually the short stack, since the guide recommends playing tight. but once ITM, gamble for 1st.

Since i'm ITM and shortstacked, I'm raising/calling all-in with any pair, Ax, k9+, qj, and any suited connector 56+. (I have no reads on anyone since I multi-table.)

if i get lucky, the middle stack dies and I'm heads up. now this is where i fall apart. i'll probably have 2500 chips or less and the blinds are 200/400 or more. since a 2.5BB raise is 40%+ of my stack, i either fold or go all-in.

i still use the above hand criteria when heads-up, but that doesnt seem to be working. i dont seem to get those types of cards enough and get blinded to death.

How do I improve my heads-up play? should i get an acct at one of the other sites that offer heads-up games? if so, which one?

should i buy software (turbotexas or Poki)? if so, which one? (poki is $100)

also, any critique of my strategy above?

THX!

eastbay
09-13-2004, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since i'm ITM and shortstacked, I'm raising/calling all-in with...

[/ QUOTE ]

Major red flag. If you're pushing and calling all-in with the same set of hands, you're playing terribly.

eastbay

SmileyEH
09-13-2004, 01:06 AM
when headsup push with top 70 call with top 30. I modify this ratio for how my opponent is playing and what cards i'm getting. If I folded in the SB three in a row i'm going all in with any 2 the next time kind of thing.

If you are following a guide for $10+1 and playing $30's i suggest you stop multitabling and work on adjusting your game for the higher limit. I play $20+2's and the game is somewhat different, players on the bubble are much more aggressive and make better all in calls than in the $10's.

-SmileyEH

Phill S
09-13-2004, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do I improve my heads-up play? should i get an acct at one of the other sites that offer heads-up games? if so, which one?

should i buy software (turbotexas or Poki)? if so, which one? (poki is $100)

[/ QUOTE ]

in spite of recent performance (how many times can AJ run into AQ???) i consider my heads up play to be pretty good (no gold medal, but no wooden spoon). i used to be a shambles when i got heads up, but i found playing a week solid of heads up matches on stars helped my game a ton. its what id recommend above all else.

if nothing else it will give you the confidence in your own play, as thats basicly the key to the last battle.

as the blinds start smaller, you will notice that it doesnt match up exactly with what youll find, but you will gain a feel for the game and your ROI should increase as a result.

i havent tried any poker software as youve listed. i have heard of Poki and hear its damn good. but for 100 dollars, i think youd be better off dropping it in stars and playing the ten dollar heads up games.

Phill

Nak
09-13-2004, 09:56 AM
HU is where you can show your true artistry or (as in my case) your true philistinism. I also multi-table, but I've found that I NEED reads to be successful heads up. So, I try to collect those reads while heads up. I play on UB, and they have $5 + .25 heads up tourneys. I have only played one and lost. Perhaps that's something that I should do. Good luck.

Nak

Gator
09-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Here's one thing you can add to your heads up play that may help (or may bring on an earlier demise!). In addition to the hands you are dealt, there is a rhythm to the play as well. It's one thing to raise all in with the top X% of hands and call with the top Y%. If, on the button (small blind), I've gotten garbage hands three hands in a row and I've folded those hands, I'll push all in with any two on the fourth hand. It's the rhythm. I've yielded and yielded and now it's time for me to get a pot. The opponent should notice I haven't played three hands in a row and give me a greater amount of respect. You've got to get your opponent to fold when you are in the small blind holding 8 3 offsuit occassionally.