PDA

View Full Version : Bush lied in his campaign literature

ChristinaB
09-12-2004, 10:29 PM
He claimed to be in the Air Force, but was only in the guard.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/images/homepage/bush_air_force_detail.jpg

http://www.democraticunderground.com/images/homepage/bush_air_force_medium.jpg

cardcounter0
09-12-2004, 10:35 PM
It is clear the documents you have shown are a forgery, probably planted by Dick Morris to help Hillary win in 2008.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Abednego
09-13-2004, 12:08 AM
File this under irrelevant

mmbt0ne
09-13-2004, 12:24 AM
That's ok. It's not like John Kerry did anything during Vietnam right? At least I haven't heard about him being there.

Rooster71
09-13-2004, 12:37 AM
How dare you call Bush a liar. You must hate America. Bush doesn't lie, that made-up brochure was just a weak attempt to steer focus away from real issues that affect all Americans. These real issues include Kerry's activities 35 years ago and the fact that only George W. Bush can save the US from terrorists.

adios
09-13-2004, 01:04 AM
The DNC made these documents public today. Is this an example of Democrats bringing up the relevant issues of the campaign /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Somehow methinks that the voting public won't be impressed by these documents. Meanwhile the NY Times reported this today:
An Ex-Officer Now Believes Guard Memo Isn't Genuine (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/12/politics/campaign/12guard.html)

A former National Guard commander who CBS News said had helped convince it of the authenticity of documents raising new questions about President Bush's military service said on Saturday that he did not believe they were genuine.

The commander, Bobby Hodges, said in a telephone interview that network producers had never showed him the documents but had only read them to him over the phone days before they were featured Wednesday in a "60 Minutes" broadcast. After seeing the documents on Friday, Mr. Hodges said, he concluded that they were falsified.

I realize that the NY Times is not the greatest or most reliable source for news so hopefully I can find this retraction reported somewhere else to corroborate.

This was an interesting article about why the documents are forgeries. I wonder when CBS well fess up that they've been had.

The Bush "Guard memos" are forgeries! (http://www.flounder.com/bush.htm)

First off, before I start getting a lot of the wrong kind of mail: I am not a fan of George Bush. But I am even less a fan of attempts to commit fraud, and particularly by a complete and utter failure of those we entrust to ensure that if the news is at least accurate. I know it is asking far too much to expect the news to be unbiased. But the people involved should not actually lie to us, or promulgate lies created by hoaxers, through their own incompetence.

There has been a lot of activity on the Internet recently concerning the forged CBS documents. I do not even dignify this statement with the traditional weasel-word “alleged”, because it takes approximately 30 seconds for anyone who is knowledgeable in the history of electronic document production to recognize this whole collection is certainly a forgery, and approximately five minutes to prove to anyone technically competent that the documents are a forgery. I was able to replicate two of the documents within a few minutes. At time I a writing this, CBS is stonewalling. They were hoaxed, pure and simple. CBS failed to exercise anything even approximately like due diligence. I am not sure what sort of "expert" they called in to authenticate the document, but anything I say about his qualifications to judge digital typography is likely to be considered libelous (no matter how true they are) and I would not say them in print in a public forum.

I am one of the pioneers of electronic typesetting. I was doing work with computer typesetting technology in 1972 (it actually started in late 1969), and I personally created one of the earliest typesetting programs for what later became laser printers, but in 1970 when this work was first done, lasers were not part of the electronic printer technology (my way of expressing this is “I was working with laser printers before they had lasers”, which is only a mild stretch of the truth). We published a paper about our work (graphics, printer hardware, printer software, and typesetting) in one of the important professional journals of the time (D.R. Reddy, W. Broadley, L.D. Erman, R. Johnsson, J. Newcomer, G. Robertson, and J. Wright, "XCRIBL: A Hardcopy Scan Line Graphics System for Document Generation," Information Processing Letters (1972, pp.246-251)). I have been involved in many aspects of computer typography, including computer music typesetting (1987-1990). I have personally created computer fonts, and helped create programs that created computer fonts. At one time in my life, I was a certified Adobe PostScript developer, and could make laser printers practically stand up and tap dance. I have written about Microsoft Windows font technology in a book I co-authored, and taught courses in it. I therefore assert that I am a qualified expert in computer typography.

The probability that any technology in existence in 1972 would be capable of producing a document that is nearly pixel-compatible with Microsoft’s Times New Roman font and the formatting of Microsoft Word, and that such technology was in casual use at the Texas Air National Guard, is so vanishingly small as to be indistinguishable from zero.

The article is very technical but is extremely relevant in showing why they're fake. I know it won't convince anyone but I know that this kind of technology for producing the precise spacing found in these documents is impossible with past type writer technology. You've got to have the right hardware (which doesn't include vintage 1972 typewriters) and the software to produce the accurate spacing, although common now, is not trivial. I wonder how long CBS will stonewall and continue to lose credibility. Methinks not too long. IMO anyone that makes an attempt to be objective and read up on the issue will come to the conclusion that they're fake. The question is who perpetrated the fraud? One of the memo's subject is CYA, c'mon /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

GWB
09-13-2004, 05:47 AM
More evidence that Kerry thinks he can only win with personal attacks, not on real issues that matter.

vulturesrow
09-13-2004, 09:45 AM
wow I cant belive someone actually thinks this brochure make Bush a liar. Bush was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Air Force and promoted to First Lieutenant as well. Who do you think runs the Air National Guard , the FAA? (yes I stole that line /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

GuyOnTilt
09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
You guys are dumb and make both your parties' supporters look stupid with all this irrelevant petty mud-slinging. Just one more reason to vote Badnarik in '04.

GoT

Rooster71
09-14-2004, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More evidence that Kerry thinks he can only win with personal attacks, not on real issues that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Other than terrorism, what issues have you been trying to win on?

GWB
09-14-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Other than terrorism, what issues have you been trying to win on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you been reading these threads lately?

Lowest crime rate in 30 years,
Unemployment close to record lows despite 9/11 aftermath,
Economy improving at a fast clip after the Clinton recession,
Continued Low taxes,
Restrained spending on things that are not vital,
No child left behind in education,
protecting marriage from liberal corruptions,
A strong defense in the fight against terrorism,
Homeland protection against domestic Terror,
Common sense environmental and health regulation,
A strong Judiciary,
and other stuff (I'll let you look them up).

I have an excellent record considering that the previous President left me with a group of terrorists ready to pounce, and an economy in rapid decline. The American people are not ready to throw that achievement away.

W

astroglide
09-14-2004, 12:09 PM
absolutely nobody is going to notice or care if you vote for whatever random party

jcx
09-14-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
absolutely nobody is going to notice or care if you vote for whatever random party

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not. But at least I will not have given consent to the self destruction of my country, inevitable whether the choice is D or R.

astroglide
09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
it is impossible that, even if both are terrible, they will screw things up in the same way. pick which one you prefer.

ChristinaB
09-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Watch the "Fortunate Son" video here. (http://www.democrats.org/fortunateson/index.html) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boris
09-14-2004, 01:44 PM
So now Bobby Hodges is an expert document examiner? lol.