PDA

View Full Version : Another AK shortstack play...anything wrong with this play?

AZK
09-12-2004, 03:44 PM
All of our stacks are pretty equal ~$25, blinds .25/50

I limp UTG with AKo, 1 limper, folded to SB (TIGHT) who completes, BB (checks his option).

Flop ($2) A,6,9 (2 diamonds) I have the K of diamonds.

SB bets $2, BB minraises to $4, I make it $10 to go. Limper folds, SB pushes, BB folds, I call.

SB shows 96, I river a King. He goes nuts.

Thoughts? He was aggravated that I had limped with AKo because it allowed him to play 96, dominate me on the flop and then I "rivered" him. Yeah, I was drawing to 5 outs and runner-runner flush, but with these stacks, I have no problem backing TPTK with my stack. Anyone do anything differently? I probably should have reraised more on the flop, maybe to $12 - 14, even though my whole stack is going in regardless.

I think I'm going to start limping in EP with AK when it's red and raising with it when it's black, as after the hand SB said he put me on AK since I limped.

J-Lo
09-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I think the reason people say is go all in w/ TP/TK w/ AK, is because you're generally supposed to raise preflop, and that creats a situation where the stack sizes vs pot size allows going all-in....

The way you played it, it is a losing play, because AQ or AJ are not going to pay you off if they limped in. There are 0 hands which u beat which people would push all-in. Your oponent WANTS you to limp w/ AK which means he can limp w/ crap, and draw out on you, and then you paying him off. Raise preflop so crap hands DON'T get a chance to suckout on you.

Thythe
09-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Why are AQ and AJ not going to pay you off here, but they would if he had raised preflop?

AZK
09-12-2004, 11:51 PM
I disagree, most new players don't raise enough, and consequently, think you have their raising standards, so when you do raise,it must mean AK/AA/KK, at least those playing in a game with a capped $20 buy in and blinds of .25/.5. At these levels, sure you allow crap to play, but I think you get paid off more from hands like AQ, AJ, AT, that pay off when you push and they don't put you on AK. I've stacked off more players this way in the last 2 weeks than I can count on one hand when playing with such a short stack.

I find that playing AK this way is sometimes much easier than raising preflop and h aving to play it out of position when you miss a flop...it's just an alternative way of playing, when it's red I raise, when it's black I limp... just gives you some change...

JohnG
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Preflop limp is fine. On the flop, in a limped pot, you need to be more cautious when there is multiway action and an ace on board. It is not uncommon for 2 pr to be out there. Also need to be a little wary when one of the blinds wakes up post flop.

Having multiple raises to get it allin on the flop is not a good idea with tptk. I think the flop raise was a mistake.