PDA

View Full Version : Breakeven Run..

Ray Of Light
09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
What do I do when I go on a breakeven run...

When I am on a good run, I expect a downturn in the future; when I am on a bad run, I analyse my game and table selection to find the leaks in my game... but what do I do when I am on a breakeven run???

augie00
09-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Play the same as you would if you were down 300BB or up 400BB.

dogmeat
09-12-2004, 02:47 PM
I am in the middle of a break-even run now looking at four weeks. Pretty sad after a year of constant winning weeks. It will turn around - with a huge winning week and a monster month - probably very soon. Hang in there.

My first admission that the streak is so long, and then I looked at the post number - figures!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Blarg
09-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Keep the faith!

Don't try to be tricky to pump up the numbers, just play the best you know how.

It can be psychologically helpful to post a few winning sesisons in a limit more trivial to you, too. Like if you are feeling like you are just hovering and getting nowhere in 3/6 lately, go play some 2/4 or 1/2 and see if kicking butt for a few sessions cheers you up. That kind of thing often helps my confidence level a lot. Both the win, and the reminder the win gives you of the reason you felt it was okay to move up a level in the first place. If you beat a level solidly over a good period of time before and can go back and prove that it was no fluke, it helps give you confidence that jumping up a level was probably an idea whose time has come, not a miscalculation.

davidross
09-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Take some time off and go see a movie. You're breaking even so you're not missing anything. Come back when you're ready to start winning again.

GoSox
09-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Get Bonuses !! Seriously, I've been playing breakeven the last few months but still managing to clear 500/per mostly on bonuses at the major sites. Usually I dont care about them but when going through these stretches it helps show some upside till things swing back.

moondogg
09-14-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do I do when I go on a breakeven run...

When I am on a good run, I expect a downturn in the future; when I am on a bad run, I analyse my game and table selection to find the leaks in my game... but what do I do when I am on a breakeven run???

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are on a good run, don't expect a downturn. If you have just had a good run, you are no more likely to have a bad run than if you just had a bad run.

I agree with the second one. During/after a bad run, analyze your game, look for leaks, etc.

I disgree with the rest, however. During/after a breakeven run, analyze your game, look for leaks, etc. During after a good run, analyze your game, look for leaks, etc.

You have to ignore the runs. It's like trying to get a "feel" for roulette. Don't let it influence your game, let the bigger numbers do the talking.

I know it's not that easy. A lot of people will tell you to mix up your games, play some touraments or SNGs, change the times you play, play a different site, or anything else to make it more exciting or interesting. I humbly disagree with all of this. I feel that if you want to get better, you have to consistently challege yourself as much as possible. Learning to deal with the swings, the boredom, and the irratations are a requirement for improving. If you avoid it, you are severely limiting how much you will improve.

If you're having a lot of fun, you're probably doing something wrong.