PDA

View Full Version : Applying blah blah concepts blah SSH blah

Monty Cantsin
09-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Earlier this day I had read the river play section of SSH, and the example of raising the river with a mediocre hand in a 3-way pot. Like Koko the gorilla I can be tought to press a series of buttons in a certain order - but do I truly understand?

Both players in this hand are loose.

BB is on the tight/passive side post flop. MP2 is on the aggressive/tricky side post flop.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Monty is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Monty raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Monty bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Monty checks.

River: (4.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Monty raises</font>...

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Comments appreciated.

/mc

Monty Cantsin
09-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I received an avalanche of PM's begging me to post the results to this hand, but I'm going to drip them out slowly, to prolong the suspense:

BB folds...

/mc

BaronVonCP
09-12-2004, 04:24 PM
I do not think you are getting a better hand to fold.

blackaces13
09-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Isn't the pot a bit small to be making that play?

Or is the lack of action (on the turn in particular) precisely what makes this play viable?

Monty Cantsin
09-12-2004, 05:31 PM
My thinking was that

a) MP2 was quite possibly bluffing
b) BB was quite likely to fold something like 77, 88, TT, AQ or even a weak J.

But I think you are 100% right, this pot is too small to make this play correct. It would need to work too often.

MP2 calls...

/mc

DiceyPlay
09-12-2004, 05:56 PM
It's a draw rich board, so your opponents may well be on the draw. No reasonable draw, straight with QT, T8, or 87 - club flush, came in. When you check the turn, MP2 may see that as weakness and be trying to bluff the river. MP2 may also have been on the check-raise on the turn (since he's tricky). And the BB could be on the draw too or have a J. You have two-pair ultimate kicker. That's not a bad hand, but I doubt a better hand, a Jack, is going to fold. I also doubt a worse hand will call. May be a call on the end would have been better.

If you're behind to a full house, you lose an extra bet on the end even if you fold to the re-raise. If you're ahead, everyone folds to your raise on the river. Therefor, I don't think the raise on the end nets you any money.

Monty Cantsin
09-12-2004, 08:35 PM
MP2 shows Q8o for the busted gutshot bluff and the little Q-high bluff snapper offer that couldn't and a winner is me.

So, yeah, obviously I posted this hand because a fancy play worked and I'm a results slut. I admit I was inordinantly proud of myself for playing "real poker" here, but Brocktoon is dead on that the pot is too small for this kind of stunt.

/mc