PDA

View Full Version : all in with made straight and flush draw

greg nice
09-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Empire Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

MP1 ($15.39)
Hero ($75.90)
CO ($23.10)
Button ($231.43)
SB ($20.75)
BB ($146.75)
UTG ($28.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, Button folds, SB calls $0.50, BB calls $0.50.

Turn: ($4.50) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, MP1 calls $10, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $74.9 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB calls $64.90, MP1 calls $4.39 (All-In).

River: ($168.69) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $168.69

The4thFilm
09-12-2004, 01:21 PM
You want us to point out the 7 million mistakes you made or what?

greg nice
09-12-2004, 01:40 PM
isnt that the point of these forums?

The4thFilm
09-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I'll start then.

1. You play bad cards in bad position.

2. You chase a non-nut inside straight draw with an overcard.

kayaker
09-13-2004, 10:33 AM
3. When you did bet the flop, you min-bet it.

amoeba
09-13-2004, 10:39 AM
your flush + straight draw came on the turn and not the flop thus you aren't favorite in that hand. In fact you had about 1/3 chance of making your draw. Certainly not a situation for an All-in.

schwza
09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3. When you did bet the flop, you min-bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. read the hand.

schwza
09-13-2004, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your flush + straight draw came on the turn and not the flop thus you aren't favorite in that hand. In fact you had about 1/3 chance of making your draw. Certainly not a situation for an All-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. read the hand.

amoeba
09-13-2004, 10:46 AM
oh jeez. My mistake. Apologies.

schwza
09-13-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll start then.

1. You play bad cards in bad position.

2. You chase a non-nut inside straight draw with an overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, these are at least both true statements.

1. i agree. muck it preflop.

2. marginally bad call IMO - but not nearly as bad as others would have you believe. yes, there's only $3 in the pot when you called .50 on a gutshot. if you were closing the action, and the straight would be the nut straight if you hit it, i think calling would be fine. the problem is that it might get raised behind you, in which case you have to fold. also, if you do hit, and the same guy opens the betting then you won't be able to trap the field between you and the bettor. finally, you could hit your draw and lose your stack if somebody has AQ.

so i'd fold the flop, but don't think calling is a disaster.

hectorjelly
09-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Preflop: I wouldnt play Q9s in any position, (bar the blinds), and I dont think the stacks are deep enough to make it even marginally profitable. But if your playing at Party then all of the other players are no doubt making much worse pre flop calls.

flop: Ignore the other posters, since the bet here is so small a call here is fine. If you get raised behind you can fold having only lost 1bb.

turn: Only person to worry about here is the BB, if Mp1 has AQ then god bless him, but luckily hes got no more money. Would the BB limp with AQ? If the answer is a no then you have nothing to worry about. Im not top excited about the big raise, as you are pricing all other hands bar AQ out of the pot. I would drop 2 pair here in a flash, but again you are at party so perhaps its not so bad.

I would Just call the turn and call a bet on the river, this way you get value from 2 pair, dont lose you whole stack from AQ and can make a value raise on the river should a heart land.

GimmeDaWatch
09-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Preflop and flop=whatever . limping is fine if you can get paid off big when you hit and get away from it when your top pair is outkicked (as a side note, I believe Doyle Brunson limped with this hand recently in the PSI on Fox). The flop bet is so small you have implied odds and you also have a backdoor flush draw, although you would prefer drawing to the nuts. BB betting out twice the pot is a little odd and alarming, but when you hit the turn your hand is unfoldable. I would probably just call and see how strongly he bets the river as a)you might hit your flush b)you might bring-in other callers with worse hands and c)you wont fold the BB if he has a worse hand and wont lose as much money if he's actually got AQ.

kayaker
09-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry. The red threw me off.

TankSJ
09-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm going to disagree with the majority sentiment that the PF and flop calls were terrible. If you have players who are going to go all in with two pair when there are straights and flush possibilities on the board and can make it to the turn for $1 then I think you are ok to call.

I'd be curious what your thoughts were when you pushed all in on the turn. True you made your straight and have your flush draw, but you do not have the best straight (or flush draw). Because the BB didn't raise pre-flop I'm less inclined to think he has AQ, but it is possible. Did you have any reads on either of your opponents?

Since you don't have the nut staight, I would be more inclined to raise about $15-20. The MP1 is probably going to call anyway since he only has about $5 and you're hoping the BB just calls. If he comes over the top you have a tough decision to make.

I'm guessing by your second message that you didn't win the hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if you beat two pair either.

-tank

Implied Evens
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I agree with a call on the turn, even though it "appears" that BB is holding AQ. Your opponents must be fairly loose/weak based on your all-in try, but my real question for you is this:

Are you sure that your betting on the turn wasn't unduly influenced by the fantasy of hitting a straight-flush on the river? Just a thought.