View Full Version : QJs BB

guicmc
09-12-2004, 01:15 PM
1/2 10 handed at Foxwoods

I'm the big blind with
Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
four limpers plus the SB, I check

Flop:
J /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, I bet $15(slightly more than the pot), LP1 calls me.

Turn:
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets 25. I call.

River:
rag.

I check, he bets 40, I fold.

What do you think he had? Did he call my $15 bet with AQ or AX. He is the type of player that would limp with AQ,AJ,AX 910, J9, 78. He might call with just overcards. He would have slowplayed two-pair or a straight. He probably would have raised with AJ.
Or was he playing a flush or straight draw and then bluffed? what should I have done?

DOMIT
09-12-2004, 02:02 PM
This is interesting, as I lost a hand with this yesterday. What's the concensis? Do you bet TPGK up front? If you get called on the flop, do you continue to lead the turn (say without any overcards as well as with)?

Normally I only play a hand like QJs in late position, so I can judge from the betting, and hopefully the person, whether or not I'm outkicked and want to keep going. I see so many people on Party turning over royal-rag, that I want to value bet in this type of situation. However, like yesterday, I got beat by KJs UTG.

So, I'm bumping this. I'd like to see what others think about betting this type of board, let's say vs 3 others in the pot; one early, one mid, one late.

carlo
09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
As soon as the flop bet is called I would expect to be in trouble.Q,Js can't be good in a showdown situation He's also uping the bets marginally(it would be good to know the stack sizes) and is asking for a call. Your kicker is not good--. A bluff is possible on any hand but I would suspect he would limp pre flop with A,J /images/graemlins/club.gif and the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif gives him a huge edge.But the real question here is not what he had but your hand which is marginal especially in the BB.The BB carried you in but there's great risk in playing such a hand in all circumstances(straights,flushes,pairs,etc.) everyone keeps high cards and Q,J is usually asking for second or third best.

regards,
carlo

Girazze
09-12-2004, 08:37 PM
When he called your post-flop bet, you had to believe he had something fairly decent but not great. TPTK should have invoked a raise from him so I'm thinking he didn't have that. Doubt he flopped the straight or had pocket 7s or 8s either. Could easily have A7 or A8 though, even KJ. With your hand and his $25 bet on the turn, I would have had to fold it and move on. I'm sure some can argue your two checks after your post-flop bet as showing weakness and LP1 taking great advantage of it. I'm thinking a re-raise on your part would not have gotten rid of him and only cost you more money. Fold on the turn, save the $25, move on.

hectorjelly
09-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Dont call the turn if your not prepared to call the river, other wise this hand looks fine. You want to keep the pot as small as possible. Sometimes you'll be ahead at the showdown, sometimes behind. If you know your player well you should be able to make a better judgement.