PDA

View Full Version : my most satisfying tourney win ever

jwvdcw
09-12-2004, 10:42 AM
PP, $215 STT.

About 7 players left, blinds at 25/50, I'm in SB. I've got about 1600 chips. MP has 1525. MP raises to 350. I have KK. I reraise to 950. He calls. Flop comes A-x-x rainbow. I cringe at the ace, but I figure I've put too many chips in the pot to check, so I push all in, hoping that he either has a PP and folds or I get him to fold the best hand.

He calls....with 33! And a 3 comes on the turn. I'm crippled- 75 chips left at the 25/50 lvl. Long story short: I get KK a few hands later again and more than double up, then get A-J in my BB and triple up! I end up making the final two: me and the guy that put the bad beat on me. My pocket 4s defeat his A-10 in the big hand heads up and I go on to win! So sweet! Anyone else have a similar story?

Phill S
09-12-2004, 11:05 AM
first, you mind if i ask why didnt you push pre-flop?

not relivent, just curious as to your thinking.

ok,
other day i somehow decide to enter a PL Omaha (Hi only) SnG. hand one three people knocked out after going in preflop (just to let you know the standards).

get to around 6 handed, im deal KKxx in BB. raise it a little pre-just to build a pot (no one particularly folds). flop comes 444. i slow play, its checked through. turn J, i check, checked through. river Q, someone must of hit, so i bet pot (most of my stack, im left about 400). its called in one spot. i show my boat. he shows a 4.

not only did he not bet on flop or turn (understandable), he didnt raise me all in with the stone cold nuts. he didnt even raise.

so im proper crippled. id like to say i won, but i fought on, and i got 2nd (outstacked all the way), one space better than the guy who couldnt find the raise button when he flopped quads, but could when three way and top stack (who won hand one btw) called him down to crush him.

as impressive as yours, not quite, but still, they were quads damn it.

Phill

imcastleman
09-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Down to 30 in level 6 with 7 players left and came back to win. Down to 20 in level 3 with 8 players left and came back to get 2nd.

jwvdcw
09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first, you mind if i ask why didnt you push pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted a call. With a dominant hand, I don't mind callers. You need to build you stack sometime, and although it didn't work out here, I'll take my chances with KK anytime.

KJ o
09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
I jsut have to share this (or "whine" as it is refferred to IRL):

Hand 1: I get suited connectors and piss away 30 chips trying to catch something which I don't.

Hand 2: I get AA, run into KK and double up, leaving the poor KK-guy with a measly 30 chips left.

Hand 50+: The KK-guy survived and is in third, I'm in fourth, five handed. I go all-in with A7s, he calls with KTo, catches a T on the river and goes on to win the tourney.

This has really, really taught me to not waste chips early. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ilya
09-12-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

get to around 6 handed, im deal KKxx in BB. raise it a little pre-just to build a pot (no one particularly folds). flop comes 444. i slow play, its checked through. turn J, i check, checked through. river Q, someone must of hit, so i bet pot (most of my stack, im left about 400). its called in one spot. i show my boat. he shows a 4.

not only did he not bet on flop or turn (understandable), he didnt raise me all in with the stone cold nuts. he didnt even raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probaby giving him too much credit, but maybe he was going for overcalls?

Anyway, I thought that in a 4 or 5 way pot in Omaha you would be fairly/quite worried about the 4, maybe even fold if someone raised all-in on the river...is that too tight even for Omaha?

The other day I came back from T30 on level 2 (9-handed) to take third. I kept telling everyone that "I [will] win this tournament" after I doubled up from 30 for the first time, and I think I got everyone to believe it since I kept doubling and tripling up like crazy. But this one guy who said from the start that he didn't believe me finally busted me.

chill888
09-12-2004, 03:44 PM
my most satisfying are whenever I responsibly lay down huge hands and go on to win.

Like folding QQ when two others are all in or 2 pair to hot action, etc. I try and celebrate whenever I minimize a loss on a tough situation.

Anyone can win when they flop a set or are dealt AA. Winning when you keep getting dealt 2nd past hands is a better skill.

gl

jwvdcw
09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I jsut have to share this (or "whine" as it is refferred to IRL):

Hand 1: I get suited connectors and piss away 30 chips trying to catch something which I don't.

Hand 2: I get AA, run into KK and double up, leaving the poor KK-guy with a measly 30 chips left.

Hand 50+: The KK-guy survived and is in third, I'm in fourth, five handed. I go all-in with A7s, he calls with KTo, catches a T on the river and goes on to win the tourney.

This has really, really taught me to not waste chips early. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get that negative energy/bad luck out of this thread! Only positive stuff here /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jwvdcw
09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my most satisfying are whenever I responsibly lay down huge hands and go on to win.

Like folding QQ when two others are all in or 2 pair to hot action, etc. I try and celebrate whenever I minimize a loss on a tough situation.

Anyone can win when they flop a set or are dealt AA. Winning when you keep getting dealt 2nd past hands is a better skill.

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

good point...huge laydowns when you end up seeing htat you would've lost are great

willie
09-14-2004, 12:36 PM
oddly enough, i just read a hand history in which came back to take 3rd after being crippled to 15 chips on level 1.

boat vs quads.

got a little unlucky 3 handed or it would have been top 2.