PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Question

Rushmore
09-11-2004, 11:50 PM
You see Player X sitting at a $1000 S+G. You like your chances, for some reason. You sit down.

The first hand is dealt, and he goes into The Tank. You think "Good Lord, this is gonna take all night at this rate!"

But it times him out, and a sitout button goes up. You realize he's either gone to take the garbage out, shag the wife, or he's asleep/passed out/having an out-of-body experience.

I honestly believe that you should take all of his chips, win the tournament uncontested, and spend his money on some Radiohead CD's, a case of Corona, some mustache wax, and a life-sized blowup doll of that girl who replaced Brenda on 90210.

Or am I supposed to email support, or transfer the money back to his account?

Is it or is it not bad poker to be absent?

daryn
09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
you win.. very easy situation to handle.

it's like if i had $1000, and just decided to leave it on the counter at dunkin donuts for a few hours, and come back to get it....

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's like if i had $1000, and just decided to leave it on the counter at dunkin donuts for a few hours, and come back to get it....

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you're not supposed to bring your student loan money to Dunkin Donuts.

That said, the scenario you describe sounds more like theft than the one I describe.

In my scenario, there is an implicit contract, an understanding between the parties involved.

In yours, you've just got the munchies and got distracted by the girlies and the bearclaws, not necessarily in that order.

Pokeraddict
09-12-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and a life-sized blowup doll of that girl who replaced Brenda on 90210.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMMMMMM Tiffani Amber Thiessen, she was cuter in Saved By the Bell, maybe cause I like them younger?

Yes if I am fortunate enough to sit at a HU SNG and you arent there Im going to take your $$$, same as if you boot in any tourney, post and fold.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes if I am fortunate enough to sit at a HU SNG and you arent there Im going to take your $$$, same as if you boot in any tourney, post and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I wanted to hear.

[ QUOTE ]
MMMMMMMMMM Tiffani Amber Thiessen, she was cuter in Saved By the Bell, maybe cause I like them younger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that ain't right. She's a little girl in that show. Only after that show did she grow that big old blockhead and, well, the rest, you know--the, well, you know.

Anyway, don't be a pervert anymore.

daryn
09-12-2004, 12:36 AM
i wasn't trying to say taking the money was the same, i was trying to say that leaving the money is the same. in other words, it's my fault if i leave the money at dunkins and it disappears. also, it's my fault if i leave the money at a $1k HU sng, and it disappears.

i agree the dunkins case is stealing, but the HU sng is NOT.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 12:38 AM
OK, fair enough. I like it. Well done.

So I oughta keep the money then. Excellent.

That was, after all, my intention.

Pokeraddict
09-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Tiffani Amber Thiessen was born on January 23 1974 which makes me 9 days older then her, dont see how that makes me a sicko. She was 15-18 when the show was on the air, hmmm same age as i was. Maybe it would be different if I was twice her age.

Mangatang
09-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Maybe I'm too generous, but when I'm head's up, and my opponent disconnects. I slow down my play to allow the maximum time before I steal his blind. I do this at least two or three times. That should give him enough time to reconnect. If he takes longer than that, then I start stealing turbo fast.

Mangatang
09-12-2004, 12:55 AM
She was too skinny and flat in SBTB. Much better in 90120.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 01:00 AM
He never took a hand. Period. He was never there. He didn't disconnect in the middle of the thing. He was simply not there.

Obviously, I'll end up with the chips. My question is whether or not I should feel that the fires of hell will be lapping at my tootsies any day now.

I suspect they will not.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tiffani Amber Thiessen was born on January 23 1974 which makes me 9 days older then her, dont see how that makes me a sicko. She was 15-18 when the show was on the air, hmmm same age as i was. Maybe it would be different if I was twice her age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, alright. Jeez.

But still, you gotta admit--her head got bigger, her eyes got bluer, she lost the chicken legs...just plain better.

Did I mention that she has a big old crazy blockhead?

I think maybe I'm a craniopheliac.

Pokeraddict
09-12-2004, 01:13 AM
You are right she blossomed and was a hottie, just mentioning she was someone I noticed at a younger age, call me sick but since we are same age its not too sick eh?

Wait wasnt this a poker thread? KEEP THE $$$ How many people if tables were turned would email support and say "he should get his $1000 back" what woulkd they do keep your entry fee so then you lose $$ on a tourney that never happened? It's your responsibility to stay connected and act on time, period end of story, noone would ever give you this money back.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
KEEP THE $$$

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to take your advice on this.

citanul
09-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Er, yes, keep the money.
There is an implicit contract here.
It says:
I, by sitting down at this table, am gambling this money. When someone else sits down, the gambling proceeds within the regulations of the game. Both players will abide by those rules.

Those rules contain "if dumbf**k isn't there, he autofolds."

Buy some cool crap. Buy a banner on 2+2 that says "take suckers' money," in flashy, gaudy, disgusting colors, of course.

And have a nice day.

citanul

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buy some cool crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already posted what I'm gonna buy (Radiohead CD's, Corona, something else, I don't know..., a blowup doll of Tiffani-Amber Theissen). I think maybe I'll add something to the list--maybe...a shoe tree. I've never owned a shoe tree, and this is my big chance.

Sponger15SB
09-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Ok I was thinking of this the other day....

Say you see Erik123 sitting and waiting for somebody to play him in a $5k HU SNG on Stars. So you sit down. And then you decide to stall for every single action on every single hand.

Do you think this would piss him off enough to cause him to go all in every hand, just to get the damn thing over with?

BTW rushmore, you are the luckiest person alive, enjoy the grand.

JasonM
09-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Personally, in a HU Sit&Go, I think there should be some type of protection against this. For example, if there is a "time-out" on the first hand, the game is on hold for a couple minutes and if the player is not reconnected then that player is booted off the game and refunded the money.

But since there is not, I probably get the game over with as fast as possible and try not to think about it ever again.

What sucks is that, I have, and I'm sure many other people here have had something similar like this happen. Nothing worse than being on the bubble in a tournament, getting disconnected and not being able to reconnect because of "system maintenance."

ChristinaB
09-12-2004, 07:01 AM
What if someone who hated you saw this happen. If he reported you and player X as chip-dumpers, how do you think the investigators would see it?

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if someone who hated you saw this happen. If he reported you and player X as chip-dumpers, how do you think the investigators would see it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the mark of a great analytical mind to view each situation from every conceivable perspective.

Well done, but I have already thought of this, and the answer is...

Nobody hates me.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Say you see Erik123 sitting and waiting for somebody to play him in a $5k HU SNG on Stars. So you sit down. And then you decide to stall for every single action on every single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have actually had opponents try the agggravation stall tactic on me, but not to the degree you endorse, of course.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW rushmore, you are the luckiest person alive, enjoy the grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my response to this:

Thank you, but I would have won anyway.

TimM
09-12-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is whether or not I should feel that the fires of hell will be lapping at my tootsies any day now.

I suspect they will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethics should not depend on the threat of future punishment.

Think about how you would feel if the roles were reversed.

Would you say "Oh well, those are the breaks, I lost fair and square, according to the rules", or would you be contacting the site trying everything you could to get your money back?

jwvdcw
09-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I havn't read the rest of the replies yet but....

I take his money. Poker is a game of making money, not being friendly. Its his fault. You're not cheating.

GrannyMae
09-12-2004, 12:50 PM
there is an implicit contract

aside from the implied contract there is very clearly written terms regarding internet poker and connections with regards to personal risks. unless it was a personal friend, i would have blinded him off in turbo style.

jwvdcw
09-12-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is whether or not I should feel that the fires of hell will be lapping at my tootsies any day now.

I suspect they will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethics should not depend on the threat of future punishment.

Think about how you would feel if the roles were reversed.

Would you say "Oh well, those are the breaks, I lost fair and square, according to the rules", or would you be contacting the site trying everything you could to get your money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got up to do something else and came back and noticed that my money was gone, then I would be pissed, but I'd realize that its my own stupid fault. I would try to get my money back from the site, but I wouldn't feel cheated if they didn't oblige.

If I disconnected before...I would hope that they would not start a tourney with one player disconnected...if they did that, I would have serious issues with their policy.

TimM
09-12-2004, 01:24 PM
It's not a tourney, it's a heads up SNG. Let's say the guy's power went out or internet went down or something like that, just after the start.

On further reflection, here is what I would do:

I would make no active effort to return the money. If the site contacted me saying they are going to give the money back, I say that as a winning poker player my time is money, and I should get X dollars to compensate for the time it took to blind the guy off.

If the player were to find me at a table and ask nicely that the money be returned (this would be my next action if the site denied me), I would agree to return 1K minus X dollars as soon as we started another 1K SNG.

This seems like the best way, and I'd certainly feel, if I were in his shoes, that I was treated fairly.

Baulucky
09-12-2004, 02:11 PM
I am flabbergasted that the great Rushmore, of Pokerstars hats' fame, would ask such a stupid question or would delve into this kind of garbage that has nothing to do with ethics, according to how a Pokerstars tan hat owner should behave on a poker contest.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am flabbergasted that the great Rushmore, of Pokerstars hats' fame, would ask such a stupid question or would delve into this kind of garbage that has nothing to do with ethics, according to how a Pokerstars tan hat owner should behave on a poker contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I gather, is a sort of a "Say it ain't so, Rush" post.

Fair enough. I admit to questioning myself when posting the original question.

You are, as usual, correct, sir.

Rushmore
09-12-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think about how you would feel if the roles were reversed

[/ QUOTE ]

The honest truth is that I would feel that this is sort of what I bargained for.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, honestly, the former. I would never contact the site in such an instance.

But I understand that everyone is not me.

Praise the Lord for THAT.