PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods Results 9/11/04

Beef
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM
I had lots of fun today playing the satellites.

I started the day with a $45+$15 Act I satellite, I held a pair of nines in the hole, and a gentleman down table quickly moved all-in late position on a decent pot. Because I had jumped to an early lead, I could afford to call him and see what happened. He flipped over the Aces. The turn gave him his third ace, the river gave me my third 9, ouch! My stack severely depleted, I had to tighten up the bootstraps. I played conservatively and I was busted out in 5th place with JJ vs. KQ. The board Paired Kings and Queens. I regretted playing the 99 suited of course, but I learned that that guy wasn't making a position raise. Fair enough.

Later, we jumped into another Act I satellite. I played with/against my wife's uncle. It was his first trip to Foxwoods, his first satellite experience, and his previous poker knowledge served him well. We both finished top 3 for the Act I, winning a seat in the $135+$15 Satellite (Act II).

Our final satellite of the day was the Act II. Most players had earned their seats. A young guy sat down next to me (I was seat 9, he was seat 10). It turned out he has made himself a tidy sum of cash online - in the spring he won $57k on Pokerstars for second place, and had some $3k to $5k wins as well. Oh, how I wish that was me!

Seat 1,4 and 5 featured Foxwoods regulars. We even had a lady with a tracheo tube. If she wanted to talk, she plugged it with a finger. Think of Greg Raymer's lizard eyes, but more.... medically distracting. A very nice lady nonetheless.

All day, nothing but nice people. Only once did we hear a guy storm off cussing out someone who outdrew him.

First hand of the Act II was really notable for me. I was dealed 77 in the hole. I call (25-25 sb-bb). Four or five players see the flop, 4-7-4 rainbow. Wow, I flopped the house, and not a scary flop, not like A-K-A. This was going to be a lucrative pot if I played right!

Small blind bet into me, 200. I paused and I raised, 400 to go. The rest fold except for the SB, who calls. The turn is a 10. SB bets another 200, I call. Keep in mind we started with 1000 tournament chips. The river drops, an 8. I check. SB moves all in. I mutter, "Well, I'm in this far..." I call and he turns over the third four, I turn over the 77. What a great feeling, doubling up 1st hand.

I finished third, earned another free Act II entry. That one I saved, I will being heading back down as soon as possible to play it. I was waaay outchipped at the end, about 3-1 by the other two. They were seats 1 & 4, two out of three of the regulars. I was happy with my play for the day, I played good. My nerves calmed down and I was really having a blast in the Act II, and getting the hang of the table play.

After I got up, the guy I originally busted out came over and talked to me, and his friend, one of the regulars did too. They were both very friendly.

I shook hands with a lot of nice guys today. Only a few women on the satellite tables today.

I've found the play requires playing fairly straight, but certain times bluffs against the weekenders like me are deadly, such as re-raising against someone stabbing at the pot with a weak bet. I got caught doing that once.

I got bluffed hardcore by one of the regulars today - I held KK in the hole (Act II), and he called me through the turn, raised me once as well. Two queens on the board, and my two pair a not strong enough to warrant a blind call. I fully expected A-Q in his hand, and I knew it was A-something for sure. I folded the kings face up, cordially he showed me the A-J. It was okay, it was the move to make under the situation. He was putting all sorts of pressure on me, it was a very well played bluff, if not completely nuts.

Fred

Prime Time
09-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Glad you had a good time.
I was there Friday and won an Act2 Sat. I need to go THURS. night for the Act 3. This gets you into the WPT event. GL

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Good report. I've got 3 Act II entries saved up, but I won't use those until the tournament starts and they'll have daily Act III's. Not only does that eliminate the logistical issue of having to choose which Thursday to pick, but it also opens up more opportunities to make cash in the Act II's by making deals when it gets down to 2 or 3 left.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Bring your A game for the Act III. The level of competition goes up significantly in the III's.

Beef
09-12-2004, 08:55 AM
That's good thinking. So you would stop playing with another person heads up in act II and give them a cheaper seat into III? I wonder how much they'll pay for them.

We're waiting until October 26th or later to go ourselves so that Act III problem isn't an issue.

I was talking to another guy who told me the same thing, the Act III's are very aggressive, preflop raising is much more common and I know for sure there is no way you can check to the river as much as you can in the I's and II's.

Well, it'll be a great experience no matter what.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-12-2004, 12:39 PM
So you would stop playing with another person heads up in act II and give them a cheaper seat into III?

If the price and the chip count made sense, absolutely. My limit HE game is pretty sharp right now (thanks to Ed Miller), and I think I'll have a good deal bigger expectation playing the 4/8 - 10/20 range than being somewhat dead money in the big one.

Of course, if I manage to win a seat in the big one, I'd be more likely to want to play in another Act III and take a shot at picking up $10K in cash.

the Act III's are very aggressive

The one I played in a few weeks back certainly was, and it was a bit unnerving to have Paul Darden on my immediate left from mid-level II until just after the first break.

Beef
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
I bet it was. He's already on the wall, so he's in it for the cash at this point. What's he like, a nice guy? I respect him from what I've seen of his play.

If you made it on the table with him that long, you've got to feel like you've done pretty well.

TheTurk
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
I've seen around 275 dollars offered. The guy had twice as many chips as the guy he offered the money to. The short stack guy didn't take it and was busted out in about 10 hands.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Really nice guy. He showed me a couple of his folds when I was out of the hand. Nothing surprising. I posted a hand from that table, entitled "AJs in the BB" or something like that in the MTT forum back in July.