PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds and KFC

andyfox
09-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Riding around town today, I noticed:

1) McDonalds now says "Over 99,000,000,000 served." How can you people eat that crap?

2) There were protesters in front of KFC, I assume from PETA or somesuch. Among other signs, one said, "Every day is 9/11 for chickens."

How disgusting. I'm definitely having chicken for dinner now.

Bez
09-11-2004, 08:07 PM
PETA scum value the lives of animals over those of humans. Eradicating them would be morally just. Comparing eating chickens to 9/11 is just sick. I'm surprised no-one started on them.

Jimbo
09-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Noone ever accused PETA of being either smart nor compassionate towards humans.

Jimbo

Wahoo91
09-11-2004, 09:05 PM
McDonalds now says "Over 99,000,000,000 served." How can you people eat that crap?

Clinton was responsible for over 100,000 of those servings I am told.

mmcd
09-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Makes you wish the Pinkertons were still around

CORed
09-11-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clinton was responsible for over 100,000 of those servings I am told.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he's paying the price now with his bypass operation.

GuyOnTilt
09-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Among other signs, one said, "Every day is 9/11 for chickens."

That's hilarious.

GoT

Sooga
09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
When I read about a jumbo jet slamming into a chicken coop, then I will definitely agree with that.

Zeno
09-11-2004, 11:38 PM
I gave up on KFC and McDonalds years ago. By some quark I stopped at a KFC on a recent road trip for a quick bite to eat.

It was grabage. The chicken was like soogy toliet paper with little flavor and the side dishes were also vuglar. A cardborad box with mayonise would have been a better meal. Feh!

-Zeno

Rushmore
09-11-2004, 11:57 PM
So very true.

OTOH, if you would have rolled into a Popeye's instead, you would have been able to get a large order of red beans and rice and a biscuit for like $1.59, and there would have been much rejoicing, much rejoicing indeed!

HDPM
09-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I dunno, didn't they used to use chickens to test how jet engines reacted to bird strikes? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zeno
09-12-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
didn't they used to use chickens to test how jet engines reacted to bird strikes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But they are dead frozen chickens, at least that was what my engineer friend told me that works at boeing. Although they may also use unfrozen chickens or perhaps live ones also. Why not?

Perhaps some PETA folks would volunteer for the duty for the good of Chickenkind.

Personally I think testing should be done with politicians. At least one good thing will come out of their sorry existence. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

Blarg
09-12-2004, 01:08 AM
I only had Popeyes a couple of times, but I was surprised how good it was, especially after being used to KFC.

The pieces were absolutely huge. KFC pieces are tiny, and some of their pieces are actually one piece cut in two.

KFC is too salty too. And the side dishes are way overpriced, and not very good anyway.

Sooga
09-12-2004, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
KFC is too salty too. And the side dishes are way overpriced, and not very good anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know salty til you've had the biscuits at Church's Chicken

gonores
09-12-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But they are dead frozen chickens,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reasonably certain this is a joke shared inside the industry. Boeing does in fact utilize a "chicken cannon" to simulate midair collisions with our feathered friends, but they shoot thawed chickens. A few years ago, a small company (name elusive) from Europe (I want to say England) built a new turbo prop, and borrowed the chicken cannon from Boeing for similar testing. For whatever reason, they did not thaw the bird. They dialed down the speed from Mach 1 down to approx. 150MPH, and this frozen chicken shattered the glass, tore through the cockpit and everything else, and came out the back of the plane.

I can't imagine many things that could withstand the force of a 5 lb rock at 800mph

Ulysses
09-12-2004, 06:11 AM
snopes (http://www.snopes.com/science/cannon.htm)

gonores
09-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Sigh....

I think I remember hearing the story from the local radio yokels back in Milwaukee when I was a youngin...maybe a freshman in HS or so. The bit made their yearly "Best of" CD, so the story embedded itself in my brain as I relived this great moment in radio history through the years.

I suck.

hutz
09-12-2004, 10:52 AM
From the snopes.com article: Further adding to the confusion over the validity of this tale, army Lt. Gen. Wes Clark has claimed the story is real on a number of occasions and is fond of using the anecdote in speeches.

How sweet would it have been for a political rival of the "great" general to have run an ad about this?

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Have you guys read Fast Food Nation (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060938455/qid=1095007273/sr=8-1/ref=pd_cps_1/103-1880096-6311034?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)?

I read this a while back and have not eaten a fast food burger since.

Sooga
09-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm readING it currently, but I did see 'Super Size Me', and that cut down drastically on the amount of fast food I eat.

bigpooch
09-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Shhh! There may be some shareholders of MCD or YUM
lurking!

daryn
09-12-2004, 01:48 PM
are you guys serious? i mean.. how could a book or movie change your eating habits regarding fast food?

do people really think it's "not that bad for you" until they read a book/watch a movie??

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 01:49 PM
There are so many better options for much the same price (e.g. Panera, Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Noodles, Boston Market, etc.) why would anyone ever eat at McDonalds?

vulturesrow
09-12-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm readING it currently, but I did see 'Super Size Me', and that cut down drastically on the amount of fast food I eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

McD Diets (http://www.techcentralstation.com/090804G.html)

Read this article. In a nutshell, it shows that, as usual, there are 2 sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in between /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Mostly becuase I had never given much thought to how that meat was processed and prepared. I think everyone has always realized it *is not good for you*, but the book at least (have not seen the movie) details how filthy and unhealthy the whole preparation/slaughter process is (e.g. eColi is rampant but at levels that don't make you *too* sick, the diseased animals they slaughter and mix into US ground beef, other waste products that get mixed in there *by accident*, etc.).

Totally gross and sickening in every possible way.

daryn- if you read that book and do not feel the same way I would be VERY surprised.

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Schlosser's investigation reaches its frightening peak in the meatpacking plants as he reveals the almost complete lack of federal oversight of a seemingly lawless industry. His searing portrayal of the industry is disturbingly similar to Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, written in 1906: nightmare working conditions, union busting, and unsanitary practices that introduce E. coli and other pathogens into restaurants, public schools, and homes.

Taken from the intro to Fast Food Nation.

daryn
09-12-2004, 02:02 PM
oh my god i love baja fresh. eat there maybe 5 times a week hahaha... it's a good alternative to anna's taqueria in boston.

i get the side by side, like a mexican salad, very filling and healthy.

daryn
09-12-2004, 02:06 PM
basically i know what i'm getting into when i eat garbage, which is what mcdonalds is. i don't have to read a book that tells me about this and that. i'm sure it could be even worse than i think it is, but what i think it is is bad enough!

Sooga
09-12-2004, 02:13 PM
It's not just the food part of it.... there are a lot of politics involved with the fast food industry that i wasn't totally aware of before reading the book.

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Baha Fresh rules! I get the Burrito Ultimo chicken.

They have the best chips/salsa around. I love the salsa is self-serve, I don't know if its just me but I go through salsa like crazy. I prefer not to have to wait for a waiter for more.

daryn
09-12-2004, 02:56 PM
ya i used to get burrito ultimo steak all the time, but i'm on a diet now and it's not the healthiest thing around. i used to love the chips and salsa too. of course i still use plenty of salsa and pico on the side by side.

daryn
09-12-2004, 02:57 PM
so you're the type that would boycott a certain food or company due to their politics?

Ray Zee
09-12-2004, 03:03 PM
i would boycott a product because of the companys policies or actions. why not. you vote with your pocketbook. the ballot way doesnt work.

Jimbo
09-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Daryn,

Consider yourself quite fortunate. The year I lived in the Boston area there existed a single Mexican restaurant and it was in Cambridge. Upon occasion a group of us would drive into town hoping for an authentic Mexican meal only to find that whatever day we chose it was the day of the week they arbitrarily chose to close. Spent nearly a year there, always heard how great the food was at this restaurant and never found it open on the evenings we tried to sample their cuisine.

Jimbo

Sooga
09-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Yea, Ray Zee beat me to the punch, but sure, why not? If you don't agree with the way a company conducts itself and/or treats its workers, why would you want to support them?

Blarg
09-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Why wouldn't you? What on earth "type" of person would you have to be?

If the choice was to live with or without electricity, maybe you would be getting at something more valid here. But in the world of food, there are endless alternatives to McDonalds or any chain or chains you could name. McDonalds won't live or die without your money, but you won't die because you don't eat at McDonalds either, so you might as well do what makes you happy, is in accord with your conscience, or both. Why do anything else?

Blarg
09-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I read Fast Food Nation. It really is a great book, and it covered much more, and in much more depth, than I thought it would. It was a great read, sometimes actually hilariously understated in its humor. Its portayal of a convention was really funny. Lots of real human understanding of people's desires to make it at whatever cost. Very disquieting examination of the hands-off-or-else government approach to regulating the industries it actually works in symbiosis with. I wouldn't want to be a FDA meat inspector feeling my job was over every time I noticed abuses unless I declined to report them -- which might be every day, even many times a day.

Local T.V. here in L.A. got into checking on L.A. eateries for compliance with health standards, and it was about the only worthwhile thing I've seen them do in 20 years in L.A. It helped point out by example how common poor hygiene is in restaurants in general. I can't count how many times I've eaten out and gotten diarrheat from it.

Packing a lunch has become for a lot of us unthinkable, and we'll never do it, but we definitely give up a lot when we do so. Fast Food Nation gives us an interesting look at what it is we give up and what it is we contribute to. Kind of sobering and a bit sickening -- and a very good read to boot.

Ulysses
09-12-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read and watched both of those. Strangely, after not eating a McDonald's burger for a couple of years, soon after watching Super Size Me I had a craving for a Big Mac. After eating one, I remembered how sick I feel after eating McDonald's.

I did recently have some Chicken Selects and they were pretty tasty.

Wahoo91
09-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Why wouldn't you? What on earth "type" of person would you have to be?

Not that either way is better than the other, but you would have to be the type that thinks *you* not buying some product makes any difference in the scheme of things (it doesn't). Also, people who enjoy being a martyr and telling everyone about it are this "type" as well.

It may make *you* feel better to boycott a product/company, but has no real impact on any decisions a company may make regarding its products or practices.

It takes *many* (e.g. a ton) of people to work up any kind of grass roots pressure. However, almost *any* bad public national scrutiny (e.g. a national or major market newspaper/magazine article) will set things on fire internally very quickly.

My guess is that daryn thinks you are naive or enjoy being a martyr...

benfranklin
09-12-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There were protesters in front of KFC, I assume from PETA or somesuch. Among other signs, one said, "Every day is 9/11 for chickens."

[/ QUOTE ]

If God didn't want us to eat chickens, he would not have made them out of meat.

It wasn't us from PETA protesting.

Sincerely,
PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

daryn
09-12-2004, 06:26 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Yea, Ray Zee beat me to the punch, but sure, why not? If you don't agree with the way a company conducts itself and/or treats its workers, why would you want to support them?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe because i like their product?? i'm not talking about mcdonalds here as i despise the food, but if a company makes a product i enjoy very much, but i find out something about their politics that i didn't agree with, i can't say i'd care.