PDA

View Full Version : KK hand...Did I play this right?

buddha
09-11-2004, 04:17 PM
No real read on the villian...I was not sure how to interpret his reraise plus smooth call, but had decidedd the money was going in on any flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($50)
MP ($107.62)
CO ($39.15)
<font color="C00000">Button ($80.90)</font>
SB ($96.65)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($159.54)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $9</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, Button calls $26.

Flop: ($71) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, Button calls $45.90 (All-In).

Turn: ($166.90) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($166.90) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $166.90
<font color="green">Main Pot: $162.80, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($162.80).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $4.09, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ks Kd (full house, kings full of sevens).
Button has Ad As (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $166.89. </font>

fimbulwinter
09-11-2004, 04:23 PM
yes, you played it fine (and got a little lucky)
He played it terribly; you obviously had a hand you were willing to back with your stack and he failed to put you all in preflop when he held the nuts. getting AA vs KK is a little poker present we all get from time to time (and have to give as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). His failure to capitalize here gets him a notation in my player notes every time.

fim

jslag
09-11-2004, 06:22 PM
fim,

I agree for the most part. However, I find that some of the 'regulars' that play NL ring games at Party will lay down big PP when they suspect AA. Maybe not KK, but definitely QQ and JJ. So if I get re-raised by a player with a huge stack who's pretty decent, I will sometimes just call the re-raise holding AA. This assumes I have position and a good read on what he is holding.

I find that getting them to commit their stack on the flop can be easier if the flop comes with no overcards. I feign like I have AK, the guys moves all-in and I insta-call and usually get shown QQ or JJ.

But yah, I think it's usually best to just move in preflop when the guy has committed himself already and it's apparent he's got a hand he can't let go of.

fimbulwinter
09-11-2004, 07:41 PM
this is certainly a good line and something people should understand, however in the hand listed the money was certainly nowhere near deep enough to make such a play +EV. the villian called 35 with an 80 stack creating a pot which he'll underbet all-in on the flop no questions asked, even if a K comes or the guy flops a set. he wasn't deep enough to "play" this hand after the flop, so he should have put it in when he unequivocally knew he was ahead. i mean his re-raise all in preflop would have been essentially a minraise...

fim

PS- I guess what i'm trying to say is that fearing AA when you hold KK is, i feel, -EV at the stakes we're discussing. learning proper positional play, how to raise for value vs folding equity, making proper semibluffs etc. is a much more worthwile endeavour than trying to sniff out AA when you've got kings. once I start stacking spirit rock, then i'll focus on squeezing edges like that.