PDA

View Full Version : How bad was this call?

bismillahno
09-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Pokerroom 10+1 SnG.

This is about the 8th hand of the tournament, I tripled up first hand with AA, then got dealt them again 2 hands later. Button in this hand called my limp-reraise all in preflop with 77, and hit a set. He's generally been playing like a maniac. Haven't noticed anything from UTG+1 yet.

Button has ~t3900
Hero (UTG) has ~t3000
UTG+1 has ~t1400

Hero has Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB is t20.
Hero raises to t80, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, button calls.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets t275, UTG+1 calls, button pushes, hero calls.

Results to follow.

I genuinely felt my overpair was good at the time, at least against the button. As his stack can do far more damage than UTG, he was my primary concern, and I figured he could be pushing on all kinds of hings (though of course he could readily be holding a 5). Looking back on it, it seems far to early to be risking all my chips, but it also looked like a very easy cash if I am best here.

All thoughts appreciated.

Nak
09-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Wow, that's a scary one. I am not sure that I would do it so early even with the read. You have a nice chipcount, and you might just want to let the maniacs beat each other up.

Nak

Jman28
09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
If I were you, I'd think I have the best hand here half the time, although you know the players better than I do. With the blinds so small and another player to act behind me, I fold this.

Unless you were outmatched of course, and a gamble would be the best case for you, which it seems from your description wasn't the case.

You have time to make up for this small pot later if you let it go.

Assuming a somewhat reasonable opponent, you are FAR behind sometimes; sometimes he's on a flush or straight draw, or a straight flush draw; sometimes he has AK and is super agressive, and on a few occasions, he'll have JJ-77.

You are rarely super far ahead. I fold and live to play another hand. Tough to lay down queens though. I know.

-Jman28

willperkins
09-11-2004, 03:39 PM
I tend to be a little more wary than most and it may be hurting my ITM finishes. I am stll relativley new at this game and have a lot to learn. That being said, I would have to lay down the top pair. I don't like to commit all my chips when I have a good chance to make the money with just one pair (being that everyone has a pair of 5s), albiet the top pair with a chance at a boat and backdoor flush.
If he is commiting all of his chips, I have to give him the benefit of a doubt and put him on 55 or 66.
If he bluffs me, so what, I still have plenty of ammo left to win the tourney.

bismillahno
09-12-2004, 08:28 AM
UTG+1 called as well, and flipped AA.
Button had K5o.

So I'm a mile behind...

Then I hit runner runner spade flush, have a huge stack, and cruise to an easy win. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm now convinced the call was far too loose though.

Thanks for the replies.