PDA

View Full Version : Huge downswing at $2/4, need some advice

boringchris
09-11-2004, 03:45 AM
I've been playing online for about a full year now. I started using PT about a month ago. Throughout my online career, I've always been a pretty consistent winner...I'd say I've averaged about 2-3BB/100 hands (rough estimate, i dont have stats for much of it). Last night, I sat down at some $2/4 Party tables and managed to drop about 100BB in 2 hours. It was fairly unreal. Losing to everything possible...flushes to boats, straights to flushes, even nut full houses to 4 of a kind (yes this happened). My high cards never hit, my TPTK never won, my 2 pairs lost every time. i was always being isolated post-flop with drawing hands, i was being called by everyone in the world with my made hands. almost unbelievable.

tonight, i sat down, after a nice long day of rest and thought, and figured it was just some terrible luck. i lost another 75BB or so, in less than an hour, and left. again, i have no idea how it happens. i again lost to 4 of a kind with a nut full house (rivered, as was the aforementioned one). i played my draws great, and when i hit them, they lost miserably. i played my high cards great preflop, isolated my opponents to few, played it right, and never hit anything. when i had my high pairs or two pair, i was always beat. it was unbelievable.

Honestly, I'm having a really hard time keeping it together. Just knowing that 2 days of this have thrown so much hard work out the window is getting me really, really upset, and I'll be honest, I'm close to walking away from online poker entirely. These swings are [censored] retarded. I had a 170BB downswing at $3/6 earlier this summer and I seriously almost lost my mind, but at least that one was spread out over a week or so. This happened in a matter of 3 hours.

What should I do? How should I go about handling this? Should I stop playing for a while? Forever? What parts of my play should I be re-evaluating? Should I turn down my aggression? I really don't have any idea what to do. I have felt very confident in my play, and I felt like I had a solid grasp on this up until today, but now I'm not so sure. Right now my BR is down to $774, which means that if I go back at all, I should probably move back down to $1/2 until I have enough of a BR to support $2/4. or is that wrong? I had played $3/6 all summer and that first downswing caused me to re-evaluate and move back down. Should I do so again? Again, let me mention that, before this swing, I was probably making about 4-5BB/100 hands at 2/4, over about 4500 hands (which i know isnt much, but thats when i got PT).

sorry this was so long, im really just stuck. i hate poker so much right now.

-chris

InchoateHand
09-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Honestly, if you hate poker so much right now, take a break for more than a day.

Like two!!!

Come back on monday and clean up again,
at the 1/2.

I'm not sure I believe this, but folks seem to think that WSOP Main Event madness is adding to the craziness at Party. If this is the case, then expect more variance than usual, and move to a limit where you have 300++ BB.

But you already know all of this.

Oh, and the ever-popular advice of....
Post some specific hands.

Get drunk this weekend and relax.