PDA

View Full Version : What makes someone officially a 2+2er?

nolanfan34
09-11-2004, 02:38 AM
Plenty of people sign on here, post, lurk, etc. And while we all consider ourselves 2+2ers, I always wonder what you REALLY have to do to know you belong as a member of this forum.

I think I graduated to this tonight.

I mostly play online, but went to the Muckleshoot in suburban Seattle today for the first time, to play some 2-4 or 4-8. During my 5 hours there, I suffered pretty much the definition of a "downswing variance". The tables were great - an average flop at 2-4 would be 8 people calling and me folding. Even after sitting there folding for a half hour, when I would come in with a raise I wouldn't even knock a single person out. No fold em hold em at its finest.

And while the table conditions were perfect, I was getting beat down time and time again. AK-AJ missing the flop, mid PP's seeing big broadway flops, Ace-suited limpers not catching a single suit, etc.

Yet while this was happening, I found that I wasn't getting upset at all about it. I was playing the best poker I could, without mistakes. The cards just weren't falling my way at all.

And while I sat there watching the guy to my left rake in another pot with his K4o, which became the best hand when he caught a K on the river, I realized that my lack of tilting, like I would previously be prone to do, had a lot to do with everything I read here on a daily basis. I was able to think about each hand in terms of the long run - nothing more. Sure I would have liked to have been in the black and not the red, but watching the people at my table play horribly I was thankful that people like this are out there, and they aren't ashamed to chase their bottom pair to the river. I know I can beat them in the long run.

Maybe I do understand this stuff after all. Maybe I am a 2+2er...

(A good part of the trip was that I was able to meet Bernie, and congratulate him on his jackpot win. I also saw Slavic, who looked to be doing well after his recent health battle, although I never found a chance to introduce myself. The 20-40 table they were at looked quite frightening to me...all those red chips...)

Ed Miller
09-11-2004, 02:49 AM
Never come back Muckashoo!

Duke
09-11-2004, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes someone officially a 2+2er?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that being a 2+2er is necessarily a good thing.

There's nothing about the "average" 2+2er that makes me think: Hey, that guy's a great player.

~D

nolanfan34
09-11-2004, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never come back Muckashoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'll be back...

Hand of the night. I limp with 88 in EP, typical 8 to the flop, flop comes AK6r. One better, and getting nearly 20-1 I call. Turn is a blank and it's checked around. River is a blank, it's checked around again, and with 8 people MHIG.

bernie
09-11-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(A good part of the trip was that I was able to meet Bernie, and congratulate him on his jackpot win. I also saw Slavic, who looked to be doing well after his recent health battle, although I never found a chance to introduce myself. The 20-40 table they were at looked quite frightening to me...all those red chips...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good meeting you too. Just hang a minute next time and yap. Yknow, ya got 30 mins you can be away from a table to yap. If you were on a table. Im not sure where ya went. I turned around and was like, 'where'd he go?' I told slavic you were in the house, though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most of the chips ended up in slavic's stack. He had quite a nice night.

b

PS...i have no idea as to the answer to your question. I think most have a different idea as to what being a 2+2'er means. I will equate a general 2+2'er as a more thinking player than the avg player, however. This doesn't mean that they necesarily play well enough to beat the game, but that their likely headed in the right direction to some degree.

3rdCheckRaise
09-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Nothing i would love more then have 9 average 2+2ers in my game. Most of the midlimit readers or posters are either way to weak or way to agro...Once you establish the pattern ATMs are open for a pay out...

Gramps
09-11-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And while I sat there watching the guy to my left rake in another pot with his K4o, which became the best hand when he caught a K on the river, I realized that my lack of tilting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this line about "lack of tilitng" while looking at your picture of Nolan Ryan "tilting" on Robin Ventura's forehead made me LOL

ThaSaltCracka
09-11-2004, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(A good part of the trip was that I was able to meet Bernie, and congratulate him on his jackpot win. I also saw Slavic, who looked to be doing well after his recent health battle, although I never found a chance to introduce myself.

[/ QUOTE ] I've met the big Bern once before, and he is def a pimp among men /images/graemlins/wink.gif, never meet Slavic though /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Nolanfan, we will have to meet up sometime. We play a nice $20 NL game on occasion, any seattlites who are intereted, holla at a playa! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpicyF
09-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Per defenition a 2+2'er is a weak-tight lowlimit grinder who will never give up their dayjob (for one reason or another).

nolanfan34
09-11-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Per defenition a 2+2'er is a weak-tight lowlimit grinder who will never give up their dayjob (for one reason or another).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god, that defines me to a T.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Hmmm....... 2+2ers do these things, amongst others:

1. read 2+2 books (and other good books) AND ACTUALLY APPLY THE CONCEPTS

2. post on 2+2 regarding strategy and other such concepts at least part of the time. Notice some that posters here do not meet this criterion, as they generally post a bunch of BS and rarely, if ever talk strategy. Just posting by itself doesn't make you a 2+2er in my book.

3. make a conscious effort to improve their own game by their reading / posting on 2+2.

4. conduct themselves with class (at least PART of the time /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

5. admit their own Magoo-ness and don't pretend to know EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. This means sometimes admitting you are wrong and changing your views.

al

Sundevils21
09-11-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the guy to my left rake in another pot with his K4o, which became the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

right as I read over "K4o" my party screen popped up and what do I have? K4o. So I take this as an omen and raise in the CO with no limpers and sure enough, I won the blinds.
I should send you the money I think, all 4 bucks.

Abe
09-11-2004, 06:29 PM
You are OFFICIALLY a 2+2 er if you have ever:

1. Ended your poker story with the words: "And my hand was good."

2. Actually did let someone else elaborate.

3. Really DO have a brown trout in your closet.

4. Attend the Annual 2+2 Seminar in Las Vegas --- even in years its not held.

dogmeat
09-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Come on, Nolan didn't tilt. He just grabbed a young kid who charged the mound by the neck and landed a few blows. LOL

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

scalf
09-11-2004, 07:20 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif to be a 2+2 er you must know the answer to..

1.SPM stands for...??

2. was there a Vince forum...??

3. who is smarter: john cole or david???

4. has mason actually ever lost a posted hand??

now that will weed em out!!!

gl

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Abe
09-12-2004, 02:17 PM
haha scalfie --- good ones.

#1 "can bend a card with his bare hands, leaps a stud table in a single bound"

#2 Hey --- I even posted on the "Vince Forum"

# 3 and # 4 are so obvious. "Do you see why?" If you don't understand this, you should not be reading this post yet.

baggins
09-14-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/frown.gif to be a 2+2 er you must know the answer to..

1.SPM stands for...??

2. was there a Vince forum...??

3. who is smarter: john cole or david???

4. has mason actually ever lost a posted hand??

now that will weed em out!!!

gl

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1. not only do i know what SPM stands for, but I've met him.
2. for like a week, if i recall.
3. it's close.
4. yep. but he still played it right.