PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for 6-max

AdamL
09-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Can someone recommend any preparation work I can do for six max?

I'm used to full-tables, and I've read SSH, Advanced Hold'em, MLHE, IPM and some other main market stuff. They don't focus much on how you need to adapt, though there is some material.

Any other leads?

Adam

Joe826
09-10-2004, 10:02 PM
read all the posts in the heads-up/short-handed forum. it's good stuff.

InchoateHand
09-10-2004, 10:10 PM
As the above poster said, read the SH/HU forum.

On the brief side...don't play your classic SS drawing hands so readily out of position. Don't "value-bet" draws like you would with five callers. Be tenacious, except when you should let go (duh). Fire on checked flops from the button.

I've also started working in some six max games to help me with my SH play (since my regular 2/4 games have eight to the flop again on Party). So far I have been running well. Aggression pays more than ever, in the right places. And variance is king.

joker122
09-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Preperation? Be prepared for ridiculous suckouts and swings. Also, read this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=891774&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1).

Bigdaddydvo
09-10-2004, 10:14 PM
The best tip I have is that you treat shorthanded situations is to just play them how they happen in ring games: When it's folded to you on CO or on the button, it's really the equivalent of a shorthanded game. That situation happens frequently if you find yourself in a tight passive game.

Aggression becomes even more important, raising standards are lower, and be prepared to go to the river with stuff like bottom pair.

Hope that helps.

ps Also, John Feeny's "Inside the Poker Mind" has several great essays on shorthanded play.

scotnt73
09-10-2004, 10:19 PM
also there is a learning curve. the aggro is WAY higher than you are used to. i recomend finding the lowest limit 6 max you can to get used to it. i know gaming club has .5/1 6 max. i dont know about the others besides the party 1/2. it is very profitable as long as you dont mind swings. you also have to be careful after you get used to it you will tend to be a LAG when you go back to full ring at first.

AdamL
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks everyone. The link is especially good.

Adam