PDA

View Full Version : left handedness in poker players

housenuts
09-10-2004, 09:32 PM
just wondering how many poker players out there are left handed? i am and am curious to find others. lefties do it better! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Michael Davis
09-10-2004, 09:40 PM
I have tried with my left hand numerous times, but it is slow and awkward and I get bored and frustrated.

-Michael

housenuts
09-10-2004, 11:57 PM
i suppose you are talking about masturbation, whereas i was referring to poker. but nonetheless, good post.

Ryner
09-11-2004, 07:01 AM
I'm a lefty.

Michael Davis
09-11-2004, 08:50 AM
I was actually referring to my inability to use the mouse with my left hand.

-Michael

thirddan
09-11-2004, 08:53 AM
im a lefty...

Duke
09-11-2004, 09:00 AM
The Leftorium (http://simpsonovi.comics.cz/media/Obrazky/WALL/imagepages/image19.htm)

Sundevils21
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
how would one play poker with thier left hand?
I've usually identified playing poker with ones brain instead of physical attributes.
Use the mouse lefty?
Look at your cards with your left hand?
Shuffle chips with your left hand?

FeliciaLee
09-11-2004, 11:47 AM
I am.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andy B
09-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm left-handed, and I have difficulty using the mouse with my left hand too.

daryn
09-11-2004, 12:47 PM
i am also left handed and i don't think my left hand has ever touched my mouse.

Michael Davis
09-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Your responses are interesting, because the truth is I am right-handed but use my left hand with the mouse. I also dribble a basketball primarily with my left, and every muscle on my left arm is stronger than my right.

-Michael

Sundevils21
09-11-2004, 01:48 PM
the only thing I do left handed is play hockey. Lots of lefty hockey players though.

TonyBlair
09-11-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm a righter. And proud. But I always play Aces with my left to confuse the opposition.

Bez
09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I am left handed. Being left handed is often linked to creativity. Would this suggest that lefties are more inclined to play no limit over limit?

mrpurple
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm left handed. The only disadvantage I've noticed it if you try to bend the corners with your left hand and peek at your cards you'll see blank space.

Mike Gallo
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I am "left handed" as is JTG51 and Barry.

xrongor
09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
interesting you bring this up. i was talking about it with my left handed friend the other day.

i believe that people who are more 'center brained" vs left or right dominant do better at poker, being able to mix the scientific side with the instinct/art side to make decisions.

based on information i found on the web, tests reveal left handed people to be generally more center brained than right or left dominant. possibly (my assumption) due to the fact that they are somewhat forced to be right handed due to right hand based ergonomic design of most items.

so in short, i think left handed people are better at poker, amongst other things.

this is all just my theory...

jedi
09-12-2004, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm left handed. The only disadvantage I've noticed it if you try to bend the corners with your left hand and peek at your cards you'll see blank space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you hold your cards horizontally. But then you gotta read them sideways.

mostsmooth
09-13-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've usually identified playing poker with ones brain instead of physical attributes.
Use the mouse lefty?
Look at your cards with your left hand?
Shuffle chips with your left hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
im a righty, but i do everything on the poker table with my left hand; shuffle chips, look at my cards, bet, fire the cards into the muck, collect the cards that are dealt, everything. and i can barely shuffle chips with my right and i cant get any kind of speed on the cards when firing them with my right
go figure

andyfox
09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I am left-handed. It's a curse in a world built for right-handed people. I have heard that whereas the ratio is now approx. 80-20 RH vs. LH, 500 years ago the figures were reversed and lefties were in the majority. Anybody know if this is true?

meep_42
09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm left handed.

-d

jayrutz2
09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Lefties only need reply, me too!

Maybe the right side of the brain holds the Poker zone, after all it's well known that our primate ancestors needed to understand implied pot odds in order to survive in times of bluffing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

turnipmonster
09-13-2004, 12:36 PM
left handed also, I use the right hand for mouse though.

--turnipmonster

Matt Flynn
09-13-2004, 02:43 PM
ya me too.

Bubbagump
09-13-2004, 02:47 PM
N/M

B00T
09-13-2004, 04:59 PM
go lefties!

Only real advantage I can see in anything for being left-handed is bowling. No shmucks messing up my oil patterns.

meep_42
09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lefties only need reply, me too!

Maybe the right side of the brain holds the Poker zone, after all it's well known that our primate ancestors needed to understand implied pot odds in order to survive in times of bluffing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! My gf is a biological anthropology grad student and got a kick out of that one. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-d

scottjack
09-13-2004, 11:12 PM
seems like an interesting subject for a poll ??

Andy B
09-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Probably not that interesting. The results would be skewed, I think, because the lefties would be a lot more inclined to respond.

Duke
09-14-2004, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that whereas the ratio is now approx. 80-20 RH vs. LH, 500 years ago the figures were reversed and lefties were in the majority. Anybody know if this is true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that this was ever the case, Andy. I have read that the Catholic church used to force people to become right-handed, because lefties were servants of the devil. If they were the majority, this would make little sense to begin with. It would also provide for a world full of really undercoordinated Catholics.

I believe that the ratio is more like 90-10 in America, but I think I read that online and it's possibly bad information.

Perhaps your stat was referring to the hand most used to peel one off with?

Even in other cultures, the left hand is considered evil.

~D

Duke
09-14-2004, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After spending years in poker games against people who do most of their thinking about poker with their arse, I figure that those who actually do the thinking with their left hand might be winners.

~D

jayrutz2
09-14-2004, 12:39 PM
glad someone appreciates my sense of humor:)

BeerMoney
09-16-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have tried with my left hand numerous times, but it is slow and awkward and I get bored and frustrated.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it cause it feels like someone else is doing it.

Sundevils21
09-16-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys crack me up /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I like it cause it feels like someone else is doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

octop
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
I'm also a lefty and I've actually posted this topic on a sports betting forum out of curiosity but got little repsonse

I play a lot of blackjack and I swear that half of the pitbosses are left handed. I think lefties notice other lefties more but i swear this is true. Usually when I make some sort of comment about being a lefty it gets a laugh and my comps are boosted just a little. Being that I'm counting cards any pitboss I can have on my side is ok with me

My brother and father are also lefties so I thought I was normal until kindergaden and I had to use those god damn sissors

Heres why I hate righties piss me off:

Right Handed Desks
When you do find a lefty desk some righty has either spilled something on it or has their crap on it

Right handed turnstyles (subways in NYC)

Eating next to a righty

They can find baseball gloves easy

Writing absolutly sucks left handed

Right handed mouses/mice? in computer labs in college (I switch the mouse to the left side and when i leave watch some schmuck righty try and use it lefty)

I think lefties are smarter so we should be better at poker and generally speaking we're better at math so that helps

amper
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
this is my first time posting, just wanted to pad the lefty numbers a little more... i used to use my left hand to move the mouse, but trying to play fps games with "wasd" is pretty difficult that way. so now i can use either /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jagoff
09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I am left handed as well. I am however a righty when it comes to writing, eating and repremanding Uncle Schmitty. I can't for the life of me use the mouse with the left hand either. I guess that makes me kinda of center brained.