PDA

View Full Version : thanks, & one more internet ?

skibum
09-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Lori and JAque, thank you. I've run pitstop, spybot and adaware. I am still getting hijacked by 'about blank' to a lame search engine that doesn't go anywhere. I go into control panel-internet settings and change it back to my default homepage then immediately try to start my homepage and I am already hijacked. I go back into settings and it's already switched back to 'about blank'. If I leave 'My Computer' open and change it to my default on internet settings, I can get to the default but then as soon as I try to do the microsoft updates through the start menu, I am hijacked back to the lame search page, and then have to take a very circuitous route to get to google where I can actually search. And for some reason, I can not do any of the patches or updates from MS. A real pain in the post. Sometimes, but not always, when I run adaware it locks up after starting the delete process. Then when I re-run it, it works ok but doesn't have the same number of bad guys. Wierd. I had over 1000 deletes on the first run. And a bunch on spybot too. Well, thanks for your help, and I'd be pleased if someone knows my next step. Pitstop told me to get a new car /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NoChance
09-10-2004, 04:29 PM
I had something like this happen to me called CoolWeb. I think it was Mike H (not sure) that directed me to coolwebshredder which I downloaded and it got rid of the problem. This sounds almost like a variation of that.

MicroBob
09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I was gettin hi-jacked by about:blank about a month or two ago. It really was more of a nuisance than anything else. I took it to the shop and had them take care of it.
I just hate banging my head against the wall for a couple of hours trying to fix something that I really don't know how to fix.

JAque
09-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Follow these suggestions and let us know . It looks like a nasty one.

JAque

try answer #3 (http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/11527.html )

Try this follow the whole thread (http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4049)