PDA

View Full Version : Was this a Bad Beat?

AceKQJT
09-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Party Poker MTT

3rd hand of the tourney, so blinds are 10/15 average stack is T-1000.

Folded to UTG+1, who raises to 45. Folded around to me holding 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I thought "Hmmm. Its early and I'll be last to act.". So I call. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Folded to BB who calls.

FLOP: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif (T-145)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, I check

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, I bet T-60 (sneaky little bet, i thought). BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet T-60, BB raises all-in (LOL)

BB shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Ace-high Flush)
I show 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Straight-flush 5 to 9)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually felt like I was ahead on the turn, and that it was worth the risk to keep the opponent in with a 4-flush (perhaps), to maybe bluff out at me on the river...OOPS /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Was my "trap" on the turn incorrect (disregarding the outcome, of course), or should I have bet my small flush much stronger than I did?

--Casey
--Casey

SossMan
09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Your hand it too vulnerable to mess around. Go ahead and make the pot sized bet and get the calls from the overpair/one card flush draws.

oh, and fold preflop...but you knew that.

MLG
09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
you really think a call here is that bad?

SossMan
09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Unless the raiser is a total goon who is going to let me draw to my straight or flush cheaply, then pay me off when I hit (remember, I don't play online, so this may infact be true) I don't like the call. I would much rather have 22 here.

Tosh
09-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Yes the call is bad.

fnurt
09-10-2004, 05:26 PM
I think you probably could have stood to bet more on the turn. When an EP raiser checks after the flop, not to mention when he checks again on the turn, you have to be at least a little suspicious of what he might have. It's rare for him to completely give up without at least taking a stab at the pot.

There actually aren't that many hands he would check twice, aside from his actual holding (not that I'm saying checking twice is the right play), but in the event he has something like TT, you can stand to charge him a little more. Of course, if he has something so hopeless he decided to give up as soon as he saw the flop, you probably aren't going to get anything from him.

If you get check-raised all-in on the turn, do you plan to call, or fold? If you would fold, then it's particularly bad to make a mini-bet whose only function is to give him the chance to raise.

MLG
09-10-2004, 05:28 PM
i missed that it was the third hand of the tourney. sossman I do think that precisely those situations do arise at good tables though.

SossMan
09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i missed that it was the third hand of the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

given the same stack/blind ratios three hours later, how would this change this into a good call....or are you saying that it would be impossible to have a read on this guy so early?

MLG
09-10-2004, 06:32 PM
right, no read, either on him or the table. with the right read (i.e. if you had been playing at this table for 3 hours and the conditions were right) I could deffinitely see making this call. Here's a question, if two people in between called the raise, then would you entertain a call here?

SossMan
09-10-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question, if two people in between called the raise, then would you entertain a call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I would probably call in that situation for the obvious implied odds reasons. Also, the EP raiser is less likely to bet into a big field with just overcards as he would if it's just little ole' me on a 9 high flop. The multiple callers should allow you to use your position a little more for free cards and value extraction.

1 caller, and I'm folding...two caller minimum for me. A still wouldn't be horrible in that situation.

patrick dicaprio
09-10-2004, 07:53 PM
one reason to call here on the button is that if it is checked to you you can pickup the pot with a bet, but with small blinds this probably wont work as it might at later stages. the play is marginal for most players.

pat