PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I really love about betting sports

Easy E
09-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Every NE betting fan was hoping that Indy makes the field goal and NE wins the OT coin flip.

Every Indy betting fan was hoping for the missed field goal, taking the sure thing with a loss over the chance to go to OT and both win AND cash (well, they were if the bet was more important to them)

Have to love that... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

craig r
09-10-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every NE betting fan was hoping that Indy makes the field goal and NE wins the OT coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the NE fans want Indy to make the field goal instead of missing?

craig

wateronrock
09-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Anyone who lost money, betting either side of this game, should quit betting sports.

Easy E
09-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Okay, THAT one I'd like explained a little more, please.

(I agree that this isn't a game I would have picked to bet on this early in the season)

Easy E
09-10-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the NE fans want Indy to make the field goal instead of missing?

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Line: NE - 3.5 ... and I said BETTING fans, not fans

B00T
09-10-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, THAT one I'd like explained a little more, please.

(I agree that this isn't a game I would have picked to bet on this early in the season)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who bet this game in favor of Indy should of took the line of 3.5 pts offered on many sites deserved to lose.

Anyone who bet NE and didnt shop around for a line of -3 so they ended up breaking even, deserved to lose.

Easy E
09-10-2004, 05:14 PM
If we ignore those people that don't bet online, but just go local without many options, then I can agree with that statement

And actually, since someone here bought down the line to -2.5 for their winning bet, the NE bettors who got ties should give up betting as well? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

craig r
09-10-2004, 05:35 PM
My official pick was -3 (and bought down to 2.5), but i originally took a gamble and bought some IND at +3.5 EV. I was pretty sure that the line was going to drop to 3 and I was going to buy down to 2.5 with a little bit more on NE. I really felt that was the right side. And if not, i had the 3 on my side. Either way, i got "lucky" and hit a middle. But, nobody should have pushed on this game at all (or def. not lost;). People had plenty of time to get +3.5. If all you could find were 3's, then no matter what side you liked, you should have bought the half point for 20 cents to the side you liked.

craig

Easy E
09-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Screams of anguish from Cinncinati bettors... screams of "MAKE IT MAKE IT!!" from Miami....

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Porcupine
09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
TD by Buffalo with 1:20 left to lose 10-13 when getting 3.5. This put me at 3-0 for the late games and salvaged a 4-4 day (7-6 for the week-end).

Easy E
09-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Jacksonville scored the TD, not the Bills... and the Bills were rooting against it. Now, once the Jaquars scored... yes, Bills bettors were rooting to lose.

But we'll give you points for trying.

WarDekar
09-21-2004, 04:23 AM
How about Week 1, DET/CHI, DET up 6 backed up late. I'm thinking you know, there's no reason DET shouldn't take the safety here, and they do. Well I have +5.5 CHI in some teasers, helped make me stay sane last weekend.

Easy E
09-21-2004, 10:59 AM
The Bears, behind, needed to score points to cover and they did (thanks to Detroit)

The official "I love betting sports" situation has two parts:

a) Bettors on the team leading (but not covering) at the end of the game, presumably the team's fans, are hoping that the opposing team scores enough to tie them, so they can turn around and get a chance to score enough to cover. Therefore, they are rooting against their team to win right now, risking LOSING the game, in order to get a chance to win their bets

b) Bettors on the trailing team (currently covering) are hoping that their team LOSES and locks in the cover $$ win, rather than tie the game up and risk losing their $$ bet if the other team could score enough to beat their team AND lose their $$ bet.

So, each team's fans have to be rooting for the scoring result that is the most detrimental to their team, in order to profit personally No substitutions allowed, please

MrDannimal
09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
The Bears didn't cover in that game, at least by most lines. The Lions were getting 3 and up 20-14 late and backed up. They took the safety to help ensure the win, and made it 20-16. A Bears TD would have made it a push (or not, depending on how you shopped), but the Lions picked off Grossman in the endzone to preserve the win and cover.

Easy E
09-21-2004, 12:41 PM
but it still wasn't an official situation, which was my point.

WarDekar
09-21-2004, 01:45 PM
How about I hate sports betting? TEN/FL, have TEN -2.5. If they tie the game with the PAT (which they SHOULD), then you could resonably assume I'm going to have a better than 52.5% chance to cover based on the initial line (although FLA has the ball, chances are this game is going to OT). But, since they miss it, there is essentially no way for me to cover unless TEN scores a TD, or both teams score a TD in the time remaining. Botched PAT loses me the game, almost as bad as in the NFL last year when the Saints blew one and I had -2 on the other side.

Easy E
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif