PDA

View Full Version : the Yankees' begging

M2d
09-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Everything I've read about this talks about how the Yankees are panicked and are trying to steal a victory by forfeit. My question: why not? as an executive of a baseball team, isn't it your responsibility to do whatever you can, within the rules, to win games? if there is some discrepancy or ambiguity, doesn't it behoove you to challenge the ruling? I hate the Yankees, but I do think they were correct in this action. They were on a freeroll for a victory and an extra game rest for their staff. why wouldn't they question the league?

Toro
09-10-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've read about this talks about how the Yankees are panicked and are trying to steal a victory by forfeit. My question: why not? as an executive of a baseball team, isn't it your responsibility to do whatever you can, within the rules, to win games? if there is some discrepancy or ambiguity, doesn't it behoove you to challenge the ruling? I hate the Yankees, but I do think they were correct in this action. They were on a freeroll for a victory and an extra game rest for their staff. why wouldn't they question the league?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't what they did, it was how they did it. They should have stated their postion and lobbied for the forfeit privately with the Commissioner's office and spared themselves the public ridicule.

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 04:09 PM
They were trying to take advantage of a natural disaster that killed people, left many homeless, and cost millions of dollars so they could get an extra W. That is disgusting.

The Yankees got much love and attention following 9/11. Could you imagine someone trying to manipulate that disaster to their advantage and Torre's reaction?

bwana

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They were trying to take advantage of a natural disaster that killed people, left many homeless, and cost millions of dollars so they could get an extra W. That is disgusting

[/ QUOTE ] You are being ridiculous. The Yankees have stated that if the D-Rays knew they weren't gonna make it on time they should have told them or MLB, that way the game could be rescheduled. They didn't contact anyone.

Also, apparently they could have gotten out of town earlier and been up in NY a few days early, but they didn't do that either. If this was any other team asking for a forfeit, everyone would be fine with it, and would, presumably, see the rational reasons for why it should be a forfeit.

J.R.
09-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Also, apparently they could have gotten out of town earlier and been up in NY a few days early, but they didn't do that either.

From the D-rays perspective, they claimed it was more important they stay with their families/homes to ensure their/its saftey during the Hurricane. Basically the yankess argued baseball comes first, and the D-rays kinda viewed things a little differently. The big fact that hasn't been publicized is that the D-rays didn't leave themselves much room for error in meeting at 8 AM and not even getting to the airport until 1 PM when the game was scheduled to start at 1PM in New York, so from the Yankees perspective the D-Rays did what the could to ensure they wouldn't be likely to make the 1 PM start time.

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The big fact that hasn't been publicized is that the D-rays didn't leave themselves much room for error in meeting at 8 AM and not even getting to the airport until 1 PM when the game was scheduled to start at 1PM in New York, so from the Yankees perspective the D-Rays did what the could to ensure they wouldn't be likely to make the 1 PM start time.

[/ QUOTE ] Precisely, and apparently some how the Yankess are to be blamed for this.

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, apparently they could have gotten out of town earlier and been up in NY a few days early, but they didn't do that either.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Depends on who you talk to. 2. I don’t think that’s a realistic expectation for the team to leave two days early.

Really you have to ask, why were the DRays late? They weren’t being malicious or lazy. They were dealing w/ a hurricane that was bearing down on them. During a disaster baseball players don’t focus on baseball. They focus on their families and lives just like everyone else.

For Torre to ask that the Drays be consequenced is slimy.

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 05:26 PM
The issue here is the D-Rays said they would be there on time, however they made no effort to be there on time. They should have asked to reschedule, but they didn't.

I don't see how the forfeit request was out of line. Yeah, maybe they could have done it in private, but IMO, the Yankees have a valid case.

Utah
09-10-2004, 05:51 PM
why not? as an executive of a baseball team, isn't it your responsibility to do whatever you can, within the rules, to win games? if there is some discrepancy or ambiguity, doesn't it behoove you to challenge the ruling?

Let the players on the field decide who is best. It's a perversion of the sport itself to take a "win at any cost" approach - especially with attempts to gain victories for games never played.

It is simply a game.