PDA

View Full Version : Playing TPGK

cjromero
09-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I have only been playing NL SNG's for a week, so I am still learning various situations. One thing I have already learned is not to get married to top pair, good kicker.

SB was splashing around in most of the early pots, but he did show an ability to trap opponents with strong hands. How did I do here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 (t762)
CO (t144)
Button (t1072)
<font color="C00000">SB (t1575)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero (t775)</font>
UTG (t775)
UTG+1 (t1140)
MP1 (t922)
MP2 (t835)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t30, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t30, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls t120.

Was my flop raise too aggressive?

Turn: (t420) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

After he called the flop raise, I was worried about being trapped.

River: (t420) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t420
<font color="green">Main Pot: t420 (t420), between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: SB (t210), Hero (t210).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has Ks Qs (two pair, queens and twos).
Hero has Kc Qd (two pair, queens and twos).
Outcome: SB wins t210. Hero wins t210. </font>

gronmo
09-10-2004, 02:06 PM
You should fire another bullet on the turn. Make it close to a pot size bet. If he comes back over the top you can fold the hand. If he had a hand like KJ you could very well end up losing all of your chips on the river if an A or a 9 comes. Respect your opponents ability to trap but don't give them any free cards especially when they haven't shown much strength preflop or on the flop.

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was my flop raise too aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think so, that was a pot sized bet right? His call would seem to say, trip 6's or else maybe open-ended straight draw(although this one may be unlikely).

[ QUOTE ]
After he called the flop raise, I was worried about being trapped.

[/ QUOTE ] valid concern, but its worth firing again. However, there are only a few hands that beat you right now, and he would have probably either raised preflop, or else re-raised you on the flop with them. The fact that he checked to you again on the river would make me feel more confident about my hand. To bad it was a split pot /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

patrick dicaprio
09-10-2004, 08:26 PM
1. the flop play is fine i would do the same.

2. on the turn you should bet here. if he had AQ or a better hand he would likely have raised on the flop, and if he has a draw you dont want him to get in for free.

3. river is wrong IMO. he wont raise with any hands that you beat most likely since you checked the turn he will call with lots of hands you beat assuming that you might be bluffing. i would bet here.

Pat

willperkins
09-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Pre flop: Looks good,

Flop: SB bets t30 (from what you said about him, he could have most anything); you bet the pot (I like the bet and would have done the same, if SB anything has anthing, he will call)

Turn: SB checks (I'm thinking middle pair, Q with weak kicker or str8 draw); you check (I would have bet the pot again. He could have TT, 66, QT and have you trapped, or something as weak as Qx or KJ, or J9 and waiting on a str8, so I would not give him a free card to get there.)

River: I would have gone "all in" from here. I tend to be very agressive when I think I have the best hand and the villian shows weakness. Sometimes, I get trapped.

I'm certainly not saying my play is correct. I am only saying that this is the way the hand unfolds in my eyes and the way I would have played it.

Soleo
09-11-2004, 03:38 AM
I want to add that if you are going to bet the turn, then you need to bet not pot size but all-in because pot size bet is much greater than 40% of your stack.

mscott2374
09-11-2004, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to add that if you are going to bet the turn, then you need to bet not pot size but all-in because pot size bet is much greater than 40% of your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

willperkins
09-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Good point, you are already pot committed, so if you are going to be the pot, which I would have done, you might as well go "all in".
See, I knew I would learn things on this site.