PDA

View Full Version : There is only one Prince

natedogg
09-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Saw the man in action tonight at Oakland Arena.

The arena is a bad venue with poor sound acoustics, but it didn't matter. Prince is the god of live performance and he didn't disappoint.

It started with a suprise opening by the Time that was terrible. They flat out sucked.

The contrast was remarkable once Prince came out and played.
He is a true master of his craft. One of the world's best musical performers, and he was in great form tonight.

His band is always top notch, and this one is good. Larry Graham and Maceo Parker are awesome.

The funk was thick, the riffs were absolutely unbelievable, the set was incredibly tight, stopping on a dime and
jamming loosely. Prince was in complete control.

The extended jams of D.M.S.R and Controversy were breathtaking, absolutley breathtaking. The rendition of Let's Go Crazy was one of the tightest things I've ever seen played on a stage. And the climactic solo, as always, was virtuoso.

Maceo Parker did a solo tribute to The Genius, singing Georgia on My Mind acapella and jamming his sax, and it literally brought tears to my eyes. This world is a better place because Ray Charles existed. Seriously.

I plan to hunt around and find out where tomorrow's afterparty is after the San Jose show. The rumor is he'll play on this time either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll report if I make it.

If you haven't seen a Prince afterparty show, you have missed out on the one of the greatest musical events of our time. The two greatest live shows I've ever seen are the two Prince afterparty shows that I've been able to find. The man can flat out channel James Brown and Jimi Hendrix at the same time. And that doesn't do justice to what it's like.

natedogg

turnipmonster
09-10-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks for the review. I missed a great afterparty show once in raleigh, nc that everyone was talking about for months afterwards.

--turnipmonster

Utah
09-10-2004, 11:39 AM
How dare you say The Time sucked. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I saw them with Prince when the tour was in Minnesota and I liked them as much as Prince.

I am not a huge Prince fan, but the concert was flat out great. I play guitar so I love to watch guitarists. Prince was unbelieve with the guitar and I cant believe how much he played. The acoustic set was the best part.

natedogg
09-10-2004, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The acoustic set was the best part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I agree.

The acoustic renditions of Little Red Corvette, Alphabet Street, and more were one of the highlights of the show. He is truly a master.

I'll let you guys know about the aftershow if I make it tonight. (tough to do with two kids).

natedogg

whiskeytown
09-10-2004, 10:53 PM
I had a couple friends who were ultra prince heads....so they dragged me out to Paisley Park about 5 yrs ago when he was putting on private concerts occasionally on Sat. night and opening up the stage room at Paisley to anyone who wanted to swing by...but he never played.

then another time, a brother of a friend worked out there...funny story - we're out and he gets a call - and he's talking to another Paisley employee... - turns out everyone who was working was required to go hear Prince give his testimony at some Jehovah's Witness thing (apparently when you convert that's what you do - invite everyone and so forth) -

but I guess he's incredibly short to see...I'd probably be stunned at his overall size compared to my height (6'2) -

glad to see he came back to some resembalence of sanity, unlike some of his contempories (hello, Neverland? - Michael?)

RB