PDA

View Full Version : Crappy hand turns into nut flush draw... help on all streets

jmark
09-10-2004, 02:05 AM
I took a break from limit and played some NL last week. Unfortunately I suck at NL.

What should I have done on every street? Raise pf, right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 4 handed)

Button ($317.75)
Hero ($111)
BB ($54.80)
UTG ($136.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Button calls $2, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, Button calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($12) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Button folds, Hero...?

Unarmed
09-10-2004, 09:17 AM
I would have thought about raising PF but the call is fine. I bet that flop every time. Given your check I would call. Your ace outs are probably dirty but the 2 7s and 9 flush outs gives you 11 so 3.3-1. Pot is laying you 2.2-1 and your implied odds are likely high enough to call this given his aggressive play. Pushing is another option as your 11 outs gives you 1.4-1 over two streets. I'd be more likely to push if:

1) I didn't think he'd pay me off if the flush card hit. Given his stack size and aggressive line I think he's *close* to getting pot committed so I'm not as worried about this.
2) There was a chance he'd fold. I've almost given up trying to semi-bluff into obvious strength on low-limit as it rarely seems to work.

So yeah, I call... but I don't really like it as it leaves me in a crappy position on the turn if I don't hit. I just can't see pushing because unless there's a chance he folds its not +EV.

Anyone else?

schwza
09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
i think your pre-flop play is fine. you don't want to get a lot of money in the pot with bad position and a questionable hand.

i'd check-raise all-in on the flop. if villain holds, say, KQ then you have 14 outs, enough to make you a small favorite. the villain doesn't have enough chips to make you want to play this for the implied odds - you'd be happy to pick up the pot right now. and i think it's reasonably likely the villain missed completely (or only hit a T or smallish flush card) and will fold.

jmark
09-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, that's what I was thinking. Schwza called it exactly -- he had KQ (no diamonds). Unfortunately the turn and river didn't agree with us. I was slightly on tilt during this session, so I wanted to double check that I didn't turn into a maniac.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 4 handed)

Button ($317.75)
Hero ($111)
BB ($54.80)
UTG ($136.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Button calls $2, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, Button calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($12) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $80</font>, BB calls $40.80 (All-In).

Turn: ($142.80) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($142.80) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $142.80

Results in white below:
BB has Qc Kc (full house, tens full of kings).
Hero has 7s Ad (full house, tens full of sevens).
Outcome: BB wins $113.60. Hero wins $29.20.