PDA

View Full Version : 2 Part Post, Stars 1-2

pilamsolo
09-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Stars 1-2 NL
Part I

I have ~200. UTG and MP1 have me covered. I have never played with UTG before, so far he hasn't done anything noteworthy.

I have AdKd in MP.

UTG raises to $6, MP calls, I call, everyone else folds.

FLOP AK4

UTG bets $6. MP1 raises to $20.

Your action?

Unarmed
09-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Push. UTG folds his QQ. MP1 calls with AK and you chop?

Wayfare
09-10-2004, 09:30 AM
AK4 rainbow? Smooth call flop and put in a healthy raise on the turn. If he has 44 you have 4 outs but you won't be able to get away when you make a respectable raise on the flop anyway, so I like the overcall. You are giving up 4% equity to someone with a lower pocket pair who didn't hit on the flop, but they probably won't go along in a raised pot with only an underpair.

EDIT: Actually with only a $6 preflop raise I am worried about stuff like JT and such, so I am going to make it $50 to go on the flop and get committed by the turn.

Hope it worked out.

Unarmed
09-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey WF why wait until the turn to get committed as opposed to just pushing the flop? If the money is going in regardless I was thinking that a push on the flop *might* fold another AK, though this is pretty unlikely on lower limits. But anyway, yeah, why wait until the turn?

Thx.

Wayfare
09-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Let's say he has AQ, a very reasonable holding. Many players would muck AQ right out to a flop push, but if you just call and then raise them up big on the turn they think:

1: You are making a move with nothing / a worse kicker
2: They are already pot committed and "have" to call.

If you just call they will think "mmm, I have to bet the turn" and you can put them to the test with a good sized (but not all-in) raise. You want them to think "hmm, this is not that huge of a raise and I might be ahead anyway" and then get them in.

Also he might have AJ and hit a jack. KT and hit a T. That kind of thing.

Just screaming strength on the flop is the best way to get everyone that you beat to run for cover. You're probably losing the stack to 44 (no one has AA/KK) but you can get a lot of other people to go along for the ride.

The main point is the money isn't going in "regardless," especially on his side.

Unarmed
09-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks, good advice.
I'm still working on maximizing profit when I have the best hand.

Daann
09-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I'd probably flat call the flop and raise the turn. MP1 could easily just be testing UTG weak bet with some sort of top pair, but you will scare him out if you come back over the top of him. If UTG comes back over the top of that, then you have a decision...