PDA

View Full Version : How do I use big stack effectively? What's wrong with my MTT game?

AncientPC
09-09-2004, 11:55 PM
My typical MTT game is I play tight and eventually become the the #1 or #2 stack. However, in NL cash game where I am fine being the table bully, this isn't the case for MTTs.

My problem is because with blind advancement I play even tighter despite being big stack, because I assume everyone's playing tighter too and I don't want to be seeing the flop with bad cards.

My normal NL game will get me to top #20 early in the tournament, but once blinds hit 400+ I start playing really tight / weak. Is this the time to start playing more speculative hands from late position and bullying people out of the pot even if I've missed the flop?

I'm ok with bullying super small stacks out of the pot, but when i'm T12,000 vs T9,000 I play rather tight / weak . . .

woodguy
09-10-2004, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the time to start playing more speculative hands from late position and bullying people out of the pot even if I've missed the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I'm not the burning bush, but the two things I like to do with the big stack are:

1) Raise PF in MP or better whenever the action is folded to me regardless of cards. If called try to fire the first shot.

2) Call raises in LP against stacks that are not in danger of blinding out, then working to outplay on the flop (sniffing out weak flop bets and raising etc.)

If you have worked up a big stack and have played fairly tight you have to cash in on your table image and start to gain chips due to position, not cards.

Also search EmarkM's posts, he has excellent advice, and other excellent posters usually post in those threads as well.

regards,
woodguy