PDA

View Full Version : Slim

Anadrol 50
09-09-2004, 11:26 PM
What ever happened with that case against Slim ? Child molesting or something.

Daliman
09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
He ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge, I believe.

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Legendary poker player Thomas Austin "Amarillo Slim" Preston Jr. pleaded guilty Tuesday to three misdemeanor assault charges.

Preston received two years deferred adjudication and a $4,000 fine from 181st District Judge John Board.

amarillo globe news (http://amarillo.com/stories/021104/new_slim.shtml)

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 11:29 AM
btw, I grew up in Amarillo and was visiting my parents just a few days after the charges were splashed all over the newspaper. The same week his autobiography went on sale. Couldn't have been better timing. I was at the book store in town and saw stacks of them just sitting there waiting to collect dust. No one wanted to touch a copy.

Last year a friend of mine told me he bought the book and was about to start reading it. In the course of the conversation, I brought up the child abuse case against Amarillo. He was unaware of the case and returned the book the next day.

bwana

Thythe
09-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I own and read the book. I found it to be pretty good.

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Not commenting on the quality of the book but rather on the fact that people did not want to financially support a child molestor. I agree with this position and have no desire to purchase the book on these grounds even if it might be a great book.

bwana

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not commenting on the quality of the book but rather on the fact that people did not want to financially support a child molestor. I agree with this position and have no desire to purchase the book on these grounds even if it might be a great book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bleh, I bought it before I heard anything about the case, it is a good read, but I agree with you though. Go get it from the library /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ElSapo
09-10-2004, 12:55 PM
I once met two girls who wouldn't listen to Cat Stevens anymore, for a variety of reasons including treatment of women in Islam.

Bobby Fischer was a brilliant chess player, but now he's a crazed racist giving ranting radio interviews (or was before his arrest, I believe. He is in custody?)

I don't know to what extent we should separate a person's character from their accomplishments and gifts.

bwana devil
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know to what extent we should separate a person's character from their accomplishments and gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But abusing children is the most vile thing an adult can do in my view. We all have our lines where we're offended but that particular judgment call is not even close for me.

Also it's funny you bring up an example regarding expressing racism during an ranting radio interview. Amarillo is guilty of that but I didn't even bring those up as a reason to boycott him.

daryn
09-10-2004, 02:27 PM
on an unrelated topic, there was this old thread about amarillo slim possibly shooting an angle at the world heads up championship. i think mason replied with a little anecdote about a cash game confrontation between slim and ray zee. it was a very good anecdote. i have tried to search for it but have come up empty.

anyone?

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 02:46 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=222437&Forum=A ll_Forums&Words=Amarillo&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Mai n=221320&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=3&daterang e=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=m&b odyprev=#Post222437

daryn
09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
thanks, you are much more adept in using the search function than i!

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 02:55 PM
yeah I am getting use to it.