PDA

View Full Version : Mattias Anderson....

lowroller
09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
what a knob!

I think this guy's act is out of line and just plain disrespectful.

BottlesOf
09-09-2004, 11:58 PM
DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree, he's not so bad. There are plenty worse.

Is this the right forum for this?

nolanfan34
09-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Most of the Anderson bashing is going on in the World Poker Tour etc. forum.

jasonHoldEm
09-10-2004, 02:35 AM
He's hamming it up for the cameras...and he's just a kid playing in the biggest tournament ever. I'll take his act over Matsow's anyday.

J

lowroller
09-10-2004, 10:35 AM
My thinking he is a knob = "View"

MRBAA
09-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Mattias Andersson is disgusting with his screaming for or against specific cards and his over-the-top celebrating. Matsusow is worse with his straight out insults. The Polish guy is also disgusting, although he does play good. Seeing how a lot of these guys act really makes you feel poker has a pretty negative effect on people.

namknils
09-10-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's hamming it up for the cameras...and he's just a kid playing in the biggest tournament ever. I'll take his act over Matsow's anyday.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Anderson is annoying at times, but sometimes it is kinda funny. I agree that I take Anderson anyday over Matsow. Also I thought Josh A. acted like much more of an ass than Anderson ever has.

The difference is Anderson is screaming b/c he is happy and excited for himself, while others mainly act up to berate and put down the other players, I haven't seen Anderson put anyone down yet.

Equal
09-12-2004, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The difference is Anderson is screaming b/c he is happy and excited for himself, while others mainly act up to berate and put down the other players, I haven't seen Anderson put anyone down yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hits the nail on the head.

Homer
09-12-2004, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what a knob!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a problem with football players celebrating after scoring a touchdown?

How is this any different?

chesspain
09-12-2004, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what a knob!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a problem with football players celebrating after scoring a touchdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one thing, a football field is not a tightly packed, enclosed space, meaning it will be less annoying to hear some blockhead Scandanavian screaming "Ja!" at the top of his lungs.

Homer
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what a knob!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one thing, a football field is not a tightly packed, enclosed space, meaning it will be less annoying to hear some blockhead Scandanavian screaming "Ja!" at the top of his lungs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that when an athlete celebrates after scoring, no one accuses him of being disrespectful towards his opponents. In what way are Mattias's antics different? How is he being disrespectful?

M2d
09-12-2004, 05:03 PM
in each endeavour, there are tacit limits that you should not cross. TO and Joe Horn have crossed these limits and were roundly chastized (and cheered, by some camps) for their actions.
same goes with Andersen.

Homer
09-12-2004, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in each endeavour, there are tacit limits that you should not cross. TO and Joe Horn have crossed these limits and were roundly chastized (and cheered, by some camps) for their actions.
same goes with Andersen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that. I guess we just disagree on what those limits are.

lowroller
09-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Sorry I saw this so late, but my thoughts have been summed up already.

Celebration is fine, but my call is that he is waaay overdoing it! You clebrate a hand by giving a shout of "Yes!" and maybe pump your fist...that's enough.

This jagoff is over and over "JA...JA....JA!"

It's overkill that is over the line. Showboating is NOT celebrating.

As far as sports celebrating goes, they got sick of the bullshit there too and now have penalties. Although I must admit, I am much more tolerant of excessive celebration on the field of play where guys are ACTIVELY participating in the outcome. Celebration comes from emotion. I think ATHLETES have more emotion involved because they have more "sweat equity", rather than poker players who sit on their ass waiting for the turn of a card.

JMO

baggins
09-14-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I saw this so late, but my thoughts have been summed up already.

Celebration is fine, but my call is that he is waaay overdoing it! You clebrate a hand by giving a shout of "Yes!" and maybe pump your fist...that's enough.

This jagoff is over and over "JA...JA....JA!"

It's overkill that is over the line. Showboating is NOT celebrating.

As far as sports celebrating goes, they got sick of the bullshit there too and now have penalties. Although I must admit, I am much more tolerant of excessive celebration on the field of play where guys are ACTIVELY participating in the outcome. Celebration comes from emotion. I think ATHLETES have more emotion involved because they have more "sweat equity", rather than poker players who sit on their ass waiting for the turn of a card.

JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but, he's a kid in a different country playing the biggest tournament in poker history, where he could possibly contend for a $5mil first prize. there's a lot of emotion involved in that. and he's ponied up his entry fee. all he does is get up from the table and grunt in another language for 5-10 seconds fairly loudly. is that such a horrible thing? did anybody have a problem with it at the table?

bernie
09-14-2004, 05:31 AM
Yes, it is annoying. I chalk it up to sheltered youth. Some day he'll grow up. But he is young and in the biggest tourney of his life. His emotions are probably on overdrive. He is actually very respectful to his opponents from what i've seen.

I find when espn bleeps out the word 'balls' it's alot more annoying. What's up with that?

b

RiverTheNuts
09-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Because when you score you execute well... in poker you can execute poorly and draw out... celebrating when you made the right move and win is kinda pointless, but screaming and whooping when you draw out on someone downright pisses me off...

If I make a bad play and draw out on someone Im sure as hell not gonna be screaming, Im gonna be shaking my head and know that my tournament coulda just been over, give the guy some respect...

J_V
09-14-2004, 06:46 AM
First of all, there are taunting penalties. But besides that, your analogy is hideous.

flair1239
09-14-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what a knob!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that when an athlete celebrates after scoring, no one accuses him of being disrespectful towards his opponents. In what way are Mattias's antics different? How is he being disrespectful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I view this as a major problem in football and basketball. Is a result of a self centered world view. "I am great look at me."

I have no problem with occasional displays of excitement or emotion. However, Anderson's antics and the antics of many athletes cross the line into disrespecting and showing up your opposition.

As a side note there should not need to penalties or proscriptions against this type of behavior, as mature and responsible adults should know where the line is.

Homer
09-14-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, there are taunting penalties. But besides that, your analogy is hideous.

[/ QUOTE ]

As is the way you treat others on this forum.

I was not talking about when a player scores and then proceeds to taunt his opponent(s). I was simply referring to players who display pleasure when a positive event occurs. Nowhere did I mention anything about taunting.

To the poster who said Mattias celebrates even when he sucks out, what about this:

When a kicker shanks an 18-yard field goal and allows a team to escape with a 14-13 victory, do you get pissed off when players on the winning team celebrate? If you think celebration is acceptable in that situation, why is it not acceptable in Mattias' situation?

I find it astounding that out of all of the taunting that goes on in poker, most people are choosing to focus in on this kid.

-- Homer

lowroller
09-14-2004, 10:44 PM
<edit>

lowroller
09-14-2004, 10:46 PM
It could have been edited out, but I sure didn't see him shaking Raymer's hand when he went out tonight...

So does he just shake hands/show "respect" when he wins?! If he didn't shake Greg's hand, that closes the case, IMO.