PDA

View Full Version : AK too weak on the turn?

Chobohoya
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi, I just played this hand a little while ago in the 5/10 6-max on party. The main opponent in this hand seems to be a calling station, loose and passive, which is what slowed me down when he woke up raising on the flop. Should I bet this turn regardless? If raised, do I call down unimproved? Looking for opinions, thanks.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

scooby
09-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Given your post title, I'm guessing that you checked and he checked. If he's loose and passive, I'm just check calling this one down. I can't see someone capping the flop as a calling station without beating you come the turn. Perhaps you need to change your read? Still, I check and call on the turn and river unless another club drops.

TJD
09-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Diffcult /images/graemlins/smile.gif. If he is genuinely LP then you are probably beat but it is hard to be sure about these reads till you have seen a lot of hands.

Unless you are waaaay off, he has not capped the flop for "a free card no matter what it costs" /images/graemlins/smile.gif While it is true that a free card could cost you the pot, since you have an Ace, the more normal overcard worry is not there so it is only if he 2 pairs his Kx or hits his flush since he would not be capping (given your read on a pair of jacks; QJ say)

If he is on A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif then even a loose passive might cap flop and now you are dead!

We have outs against 2 pair. I would check/call this down. At least this way you will see his hand and know a little more for the future.

The old adage "bet 'till raised" has been satisfied here - he did it TWICE on the flop so I am prepared to wuss out here (and swear later when it turns out I had the best hand at this point)

trevor

Notbadatall
09-10-2004, 05:52 AM
It is very hard to know for sure but I think I would have checkcalled it to showdown, or bet the turn he would probebly not raise you if he hasnīt set or a made flush or AK with A of clubs. The third club slow him down if he has no clubs in his hand. If he raise then fold, but sure it is hard.

Zele
09-10-2004, 09:01 AM
It is very tempting to call down, but given your read and the board you seem safe folding to a raise (even a fairly aggressive player will not raise a hand that you have beat), hence I'd bet out, and bet the river too.

PokerNoob
09-10-2004, 11:43 AM
The other side of that coin is "what free card are you afraid of now"? The flush just came in. If he's so passive that a flop cap means he's got a hand that beats TPTK, then you need the free card. If he'll cap the flop with a flush draw, that's a change to your read. If you miss a turn bet here, its just the price you pay to get to showdown and refine your read.