PDA

View Full Version : Why would someone do this?

WC64
09-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Playing on Pokerstars in a 10+1 SNG

I go out in 3rd with KK vs A10, it happens and was no big deal.

I was shocked when this guy, who is the chip leader with a little over 8,000, and asks if the other guy wants to chop and get $36 each. I asked why he would want to do that after the other guy said no. He never answered and had increased his chip stack to 10,000 and asks the guy again and says last chance.

Any thoughts on why? I guess it just doesnt make sense to me.

poboy
09-09-2004, 05:34 PM
That doesn't seem too smart to me. Unless he has absolutely no confidence in his HU game.

FellKnight
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Maybe he really sucks at HU?

8000 : 5500 chips isnt a huge advantage depending on thie blinds. Easy one hand swing.

That being said, if I had 8000 chips, I'm going all the way for first place.

Fell

Lori
09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
I've made worse deals years ago when I knew that the extra money in my pocket meant I could eat as well as play again the next day.

It's close, so it's a reasonable deal if the guy isn't confident Heads up.

Moneymaker offered the same deal with the same kind of lead in the WSOP, although Farha turned it down.

Lori

stripsqueez
09-09-2004, 09:08 PM
i cant believe it when people take even $$ with blackjack and the dealer has an A rather than deal some more cards and shoot for 3/2 - they are here to gamble arent they ?? - another example of the very common misconception of risk and human tendency to avoid it

i hear lori's answer but you really shouldnt be there if its the rent $$

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Lori
09-09-2004, 09:52 PM
i cant believe it when people take even $$ with blackjack and the dealer has an A rather than deal some more cards and shoot for 3/2

I've done this many times...... but it was the right thing to do when I did. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lori

WC64
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
The guy he was going against got down to like 1500 then went all in and got lucky on the river and then ended up taking the chip lead. They both were all in preflop at this point with the guy wanting a deal with pocket 7's vs K10. King hits the flop and 7 hits the river. Then its all over next hand. The guy who offered deal wins and says "See you should have taken the deal" followed by "You need to practice some more" lol