PDA

View Full Version : omaha hi/lo question

dd3
09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
what happens if two of your four cards make the best high hand but your other two make the best low hand? would you just win the high hand part of the pot while someone else takes the low hand portion (even though your other two cards make a better low hand)?

NJchick
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Let's say you hold

A /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gifKs /images/graemlins/spade.gif

and the flop is

5 /images/graemlins/club.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

You win the hi with the flush ( you have the Ace hi flush in your hand)

You win the low (You have As / which someone with A2 ties with you - if they have it)

with A2568. Thus enabling you to 75% of the pot.

Hope this helps

Hiding
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Use any of your two hole cards to make your high hand, and then any two cards for your low hand. They can overlap, be the same or different.
Say you have A2QK, with a board 345J7, yor best hand is the straight with A2345, and your best low uses the same two cards, A2345. Treat the two hands as completely seperate.
Hope that answers the question.

edit: or what NJChick said, much prettier and easier to follow

Lumpy
09-09-2004, 04:41 PM
The Other Poker forum has some great Omaha posts.

dd3
09-09-2004, 04:44 PM
what if I hold j /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

the board - j /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Lets say I win the high with top 2 pair - would I also win the low with 6 4 3 2 A? or does someone else (if they qualify) take the low part b/c I have to use my J and 9 for the high hand and cannot use all four cards.

Lottery Larry
09-09-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what if I hold j /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

the board - j /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Lets say I win the high with top 2 pair - would I also win the low with 6 4 3 2 A? or does someone else (if they qualify) take the low part b/c I have to use my J and 9 for the high hand and cannot use all four cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't read all of the replies to this, did you?

"Use any of your two hole cards to make your high hand, and then any two cards for your low hand."

Does that answer your new question?

Rudbaeck
09-09-2004, 06:18 PM
You have both the hi and the low hand. You can use different cards for each of those hands.

Other than that you will be shot for having wasted a bet on that hand. (Ok, if you got a freebie out of the BB.)

Lottery Larry
09-09-2004, 09:56 PM
j 9h Ah 3

"Wasted a bet"?? I'd "waste" more than one. It's not a super-powerhouse, but in a high-low game? Nut flush, higher straights and A3??

GMan42
09-09-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than that you will be shot for having wasted a bet on that hand. (Ok, if you got a freebie out of the BB.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a suited ace and a 3 for a starting hand. Now if the flop actually came down J96, I'm not sure I'd call many bets with just top 2 pair. Ideally you want the 2 and at least one other low card to flop, so you know you're drawing to the nut low--if you back into a high hand as well that's a bonus.

Rudbaeck
09-10-2004, 02:57 AM
I apologize! Argh, I need to read hands better. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.