PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else make this fold

Richard Tanner
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
I was playing a home tourney, with six people at the table. I'm known, by those with whom I play with regularly, as an incredibly tight (read: Dan Harrington) player. It isn't by accident as that's truly how I try to play. At this table two of the other five knew this image. With 500 tourney chips to start we are on level three (for us 25/50). I'm in the cutoff pos. and get dealt J-J. UTG raises to 100 (my stack is about 550), UTG+1 (a relitivly tight player) calls the raise.
After thinking about it, I fold the Jacks. My thinkng was twofold. First, If I push I'm going to get called (i.e. the players in the pot with my wouldn't respect the bet at all, as they've proven in the game thus far). Second, I hate jacks anyway, and I'm unlikely to improve, while my opponents will most likely hit one of three overcards assuming they aren't already on a higher made hand.
Top three make the money, I'm not concerned more with money than Winning or vice versa, just playing the best I can and letting the chips fall where they may.

Thanks
Cody

willie
09-09-2004, 04:39 PM
call and push an underflop. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

betgo
09-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Folding is weak tight. You have good implied odds to flop a set, plus you are probably ahead with an underflop.

NegativeEV
09-09-2004, 07:08 PM
As defined, I am weak tight. I can't see calling 20% of my stack here against a preflop raiser and a caller with JJ. In fact, I can't see calling with anything here. I'm going to push or fold when 20% of my stack is at stake in a situation similar to this. With JJ, you are LESS than 50% likely to see a flop with all undercards (i.e. a flop you don't hate), and it sounds like the player is confident that he will get two callers if he pushes here.

Some one could do an expected EV analysis here if they assume certain hands that could be held by the raiser and caller, but I just don't think that the results would be positive (and certainly not positive enough that they would warrant risking elimination at this point).

Obviously my thought process is dependent upon the knowledge the player has that he will be called. If the other players would/could fold, then I think a push is in order.

Richard Tanner
09-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, I was actually ahead before the flop, but after one of them flopped a Flush and the other two pair, I felt slightly comforted.

Cody

Richard Tanner
09-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Your thinking is almost exactly on par with my own Neg. And for the record I'm not a fan of the weak description, I perfer cautious.

Cody

NegativeEV
09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't see this fold with my (your) logic as weak tight. Sometimes we lose sight of the tight in tight/aggressive, and I think this is an approriate place for tight play given your read of the opponents and the fact that you assume little (if any) folding equity.

patrick dicaprio
09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
what were their hands? and are they decent players? if they are raising and calling loose in EP presumably you know this and can play accordingly.

Pat

Richard Tanner
09-09-2004, 08:37 PM
The origianl raiser had A-K clubs (hit his flush) and the caller held Q-10 (flop was Q-10-5 clubs).