PDA

View Full Version : General SNG Bubble question

OPJayhawk
09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I know general questions typically don't get a good response, but I am curious what you all think of this.

Before I get a bunch of posts saying it depends - we need more information etc...

All I am really looking for is your opinion on whether it pays to be more aggressive on the bubble or less aggressive (In General)

Lets put down a few parameters. Party Poker at the $50 dollar and above Sit N Go's.

Lets assume its down to 4 and all people have an equal 2500 chip stack. All your opponents are solid players who typically see 25% of the flops.

I use to play pretty conservative, but find myself getting more and more aggresive in these situations.

Do you like to gamble more and play more aggressive typically or tone it down and bit and try to slide into the money more often ??

Thanks in advance for your responses - and I know it depends just looking for general feelings.

PacmanKS

Gator
09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
In general, you want to make your opponents decisions as tough as possible. The blinds make a big difference. At 50/100 you can attempt an occassional steal on the button (300 - sometimes 200 will do) and be able to release the hand and still be able to contend. At 300/600 it's all in or fold.
Consider the following hand at both blinds:
You - AT offsuit -- Big Blind 88 -- We will ignor small blind who folds rags.
At 50/100 you raise to 300, small blind might go all in, or reraise, and you release the hand.
At 300/600 you might go all in and that is a bit of a tough call for the small blind.
It does pay to be somewhat aggressive as the difference between 1st and 3rd place is considerable.

AleoMagus
09-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I think that you will find little argument about the merits of agressive play on the bubble.

I think you need to be very aggressive, but its easy for many to misunderstand this advice. I am NOT talking about getting into big confrontations. You don't want big confrontations at all and your aggressive play should be to this end.

This means backing off a lot if other players show strength. On the bubble almost more than any other time I will be willing to push a LOT of hands that I will fold to a min-raise. Being the opener is usually the key

Similarly, you will see me pushing a lot when I get a limper, but many of those hands worth pushing with would be tossed if I had a raiser instead.

A lot of new players confuse aggressive play with overall confrontational play. Calling raises or all-ins is not an agressive tactic. Sometimes even re-raising is a bit too confrontational because you know that your opponent has something and with the blind sizes they will often feel committed anyways.

Still, lots of great players highly value the re-steal, but I think you need to be really sure that you have some fold equity unless you have a truly premium hand.

Regards
Brad s