PDA

View Full Version : Two Million, Whose Is It?

SpiderMnkE
09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
A 6 year old kid gets attacked by a dog. The insurance company refuses to pay for reconstructive surgery to his face. The family sues the insurance company and is awarded 2 million dollars.

Whose money is it, the kid's or the parents?

HDPM
09-09-2004, 02:46 PM
This may vay from state to state, this isn't legal advice, if you really need to know, hire a lawyer licensed in your area....

However, typically when a minor has a claim a court will have to approve the settlement and make sure the money is looked after. Some of it depends on how the money is awarded, for the kid's damages or the parents. But in general, I think the money will be held in some sort of trust for the kid with money disbursed for various things. Sometimes parents may have the power to spend it and that causes problems.

SpiderMnkE
09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Ok, this is basically the case for my friend. When he turns 18 he gets whatever is left of it.

He says like 80,000. Which made me sick to my stomach.

Although, I don't see why he gets any. His parents paid to insure him. So they should be awarded the compensation.

Duke
09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
That would make me sick too.

The lawyers probably kept 30-50% though. I can't see how the parents couldn't just take 500k, and toss the other 500k+ into some sort of a mutual fund. The kid did end up with the life-long scarring, no?

~D

elwoodblues
09-09-2004, 03:35 PM
That was one expensive surgery!

I suspect you are missing something. The lawsuit probably wasn't over just the lack of reconstructive surgery --- if it was the damages would be the cost of the surgery. If the lawsuit was also over the injury itself, then the pain and suffering that the kid had should be compensated and that compensation should go to the kid (the parents aren't feeling it.)

SpiderMnkE
09-10-2004, 09:06 AM
"The kid did end up with the life-long scarring, no?"

My friend looks perfect. I would never have known anything happened if I wasn't told.

Duke
09-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Well that's good. Physical disfigurements have a way of damaging you emotionally as well.

~D

SpiderMnkE
09-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Yeah, maybe that's why I didn't understand.

If his face was all jacked up and he had all sorts of problems from it then I wouldn't think it was weird that he gets any money.

I guess since he's a good looking guy who dates really hot girls it just seemed weird that he would also be getting some sort of trust money on top of that.

I guess they didn't know how it would turn out back when he was six.

hahaha... it looks like I don't think he should get any money because he's good looking. I just mean I don't see any reason why he was awarded so much. The injury couldn't have been that bad if I can't even tell he was attacked. Or maybe technology is just damn good.