PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between finding out where you are and eliminating draws.

Gator
09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Here’s an example situation. Live play no limit with blinds of $1 and $2. Early position player makes it $7 (typical opening bet). 1 callers and I’m 1 off the button with 4clubs 5 clubs and call. I have about $90 (max buy in is $100 and you can’t reload until you fall below $40). Small blind folds – big blind completes. 4 see the flop – pot is $29. Flop comes Queen, Ten, Seven of Clubs.

It’s checked to me.

I see my choices as to:
1. Pot size raise to find out where I am (but can I fold to a reraise given that I’ll have only $54 left and pot will be twice that?).
2. Go all in and try to deny the Ace (or perhaps the King) of clubs odds to call with a draw.

I elect for option two. Late position player slowplayed with King/Jack of Clubs, called my all in and took down the hand.

Did I have a better play?

J-Lo
09-09-2004, 01:13 PM
umm... you said the flop had clubs, but your oponent had spades... wtf?

can you give more detail about positoin, size of bets, and and reads?

slowing playing a small flush is never correct... losing your small stack w/ a small flush is fine... but i think you should have pot bet or maybe pushed on the flop...

Gator
09-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Fixed the post - thanks for reply. Opponent had KJ of clubs and took down the pot with a higher set. In reading your reply, I take it you agree with the push and losing to a higher flush in these situations is just something that happens at the poker table. Thanks.

meep_42
09-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Set over set is pretty rare, you'll take this one down (or get a bad call by a Ac or Kc) much more than you'll be shown drawing dead.

-d

Gator
09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
I think you mean flush over flush. That being the case, you agree with the all-in move to take down the pot or elicit a bad call?
Thanks.