PDA

View Full Version : PP 10+1: letting go of top pair with 5 players

ChuckNorris
09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Do you think this was weak? I had three reasons for folding:
1) Top pair jacks isn't too strong, especially with the worst kicker and a somewhat co-ordinated flop.
2) I had raised samh's minibets or called and bet the turn big a couple of times previously, making him fold.
3) Pokerpez was very shortstacked and after him there would be only 4 players.

Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: hero ( $650 )
Seat 3: TWODEADPAIR ( $2820 )
Seat 5: PokerPez ( $350 )
Seat 8: sllccot ( $1025 )
Seat 10: samh119 ( $3155 )
Level:4 Blinds(50/100)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ 2h Js ]
2 fold
sllccot calls [100].
samh119 calls [50].
hero checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8d, 9s, Jc ] (3 players)
samh119 bets [100].
hero folds.

oscar057
09-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I like the fold. The hand was dangerous for you with the weak kicker. If action developed you could easily become pot committed with a weak hand.

Sam T.
09-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Good fold. The odds of you being out-kicked are pretty good (duh), and you could easily be looking at a straight draw and/or overcards. You could lose this hand more ways than I can count.

BigJohn043
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Interesting that everyone else seems to think the fold is obvious here. I like the fold better than a call, but I would think very hard about pushing here.

A fold here leaves you left with 550, a pretty short stack. I don't know what the two dimes simulator shows, but you are probably getting pretty good odds even if he calls with A 10.

Given that you have been pushing him around a bit, he might call with a lower pair or a draw which isn't bad.

Maybe I am hyper aggressive but I push here and look to pick up the pot >50% of the time. I might get called by a better jack, but I also might get called by a draw or a lower pair. I think I would rather take my chances here instead of hoping for a playable hand before I get blinded out....

patrick dicaprio
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
he only bet half the pot here by my count. this looks to me like he wants to pick up the pot since he has a big stack he figures you will only call with your best hands to survive. i would seriously think about pushing here. it is unlikely that he has QQ or higher so i think you are good. if he has something like JQ so be it thats poker.

Pat

ChuckNorris
09-11-2004, 03:38 AM
I don't think that he was trying to "pick up the pot", since he had minibet the flop twice earlier, and both times I had raised him big, making him fold. This happened in the hand previous to this one, so I figured that he probably had top pair or better this time.