PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ivan

maryfield48
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
If it hits Jamaica my poker playing and forum browsing will be severely limited. Right now I'm packing up at the office to go home and prepare the best I can. Evacuation is not an option when the storm is bigger than the island you live on!

And since I work for a P&C insurance company, even if there is internet access afterwards, I'll likely be working round the clock dealing with the claims.

So if I'm posting on Saturday afternoon or evening, then I'm back in business. If not, keep raising and reraising those overcards+flush draws!

Entity
09-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Good luck!

I feel fortunate to live in Seattle, where a storm means it rains lightly for nine months straight, and a heat wave amounts to temperatures over 80.

Rob

radek2166
09-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Good luck!!!! I hope it all works out the best it can

maryfield48
09-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys. I just had a telephone conversation I thought was pretty funny. An insurance broker called wanting to know if my company would issue a policy for her client's building. I said no, we've embargoed issuing new policies since we are under a hurricane watch. Begging and pleading followed, so I did a quick calculation - in normal times the price of windstorm cover is about .3% of the value of the property, i.e. 33,000:1 more or less. I figure we are now looking at about 3:1, so I told her I'd issue the policy for a premium of 33% of the value of the property. I figure with those numbers I'd be getting the right pot odds.

She declined. I got a good laugh out of it anyway.

radek2166
09-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Get ur mind out of the gutter man. That is funny as hell though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

maryfield48
09-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Well the good news is most of my Saturday night poker gang, recognizing that the chances of a game this Saturday are slim, called me up to bring the game forward to tonight.

Beats sitting and waiting and wondering how bad things will be tomorrow.

ugadawg
09-09-2004, 07:24 PM
WOW! Please take care and enjoy the game for a stress-relief (I hope /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I was ROFL with the policy quote tho. Thanks! Hang in there! -JP

Greg J
09-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Ivan might be heading for me next, though it looks like its drifting towards the MS and AL coast. Odds on hitting Louisiana?

Kips Bay Kid
09-09-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ivan might be heading for me next, though it looks like its drifting towards the MS and AL coast. Odds on hitting Louisiana?

[/ QUOTE ]

Latest models have it hitting western FL.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_09.gif

sfer
09-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Good luck and be safe.

Gatts
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Thankfully, I don't think it's coming to hit Louisiana.

Hope you stay safe in Jamaica.

Nottom
09-09-2004, 11:22 PM
So who went and installed the hurricane magnet in Florida anyway?