PDA

View Full Version : 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 9 and 10

gonores
09-09-2004, 10:32 AM
*A quick, unrelated blurb. I am sick and tired of reading about the electoral college. Every argument these days is an emotionally-driven, reactive diatribe on how Bush stole the election. If you have a problem with the electoral college, that’s fine, but it is utterly implausible to turn The United States into a true democracy. Flashback to 2000. If that election gets any closer in terms of popular vote in a true, 1 vote for 1 person, democracy, we have Florida times 50. It would be literally (proper usage) impossible to stage the recount in time to allow the winner to develop a coherent infrastructure plan for the executive office. True democracy would never work in this day and age.

If you want to complain about the electoral college, I’ve got a better argument for you. I live in Wisconsin, which is a swing state in this election. We’ve had so many visits from Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and Edwards that I had to reschedule next Tuesday so Kerry could come by and play receiver for my flag football team. OK, that was a joke, and the sentence following it was supposed to be a joke, but quite frankly, I can’t come up with a good one. Anywho, my New England friends, in contrast, hardly know what our candidates look like. The concentration of campaign dollars in the half-dozen swing states is not a great way to help the American public as a whole to make the most educated decisions. How to alleviate this? I think an excellent compromise would be to give each electoral district its own electoral vote. The cost/benefit on fighting over single districts would spread out the campaign dollars. I could go on, but I have poker to play today. Hopefully, this will spark some discussion, though.

Anywho…on to the journal.

I can’t help it. I get so amped from HU play. I think I stay reasonably calm during the match, but the post-win adrenaline rush is not avoidable. It wasn’t there after HULA wins, and it wasn’t there after playing stoxtrader. It’s always there, though, when I play fish. I guess it’s similar to the difference between winning a bout by knockout and winning a bout by decision. I know that on any given day, any 2+2er who sits down and dedicates a little thought to HU play is going to have a very good chance of beating me. The chances of a fish beating a thinking player in a reasonably-sized (25-30+ BBs) HU match is minimal. My HU record in EV-driven matches (in other words, vs. fish) is somewhere above 90%. I know other HULA players who have even better records than that. I think that is where the rush comes…knowing that the dude you’re playing has nowhere to go…he has to play you again next hand. And the next one, and the next one after that. The opportunity for all-out dominance that one can exert over an opponent in HU play is something not replicable anywhere else in poker. I am pretty sure it was Abdul who wrote an article on HU play, which was my jumping-off point. I can’t seem to find it now…maybe someone can post a link. Regardless, here are a few things that are key to winning a HU match.
- Utilize position to the fullest.
- Limp only enough to set-up limp-reraises. Also, feel free to limp-reraise with uber-marginal hands as well as premium hands.
- Call less and fold less than your initial impression would lead you to believe.
- Change gears, and change them often. The whole goal of HU poker is to stay on the offensive. To do that, you need to keep you opponent on his toes.
- If you show aggression from out of position, continue to show aggression on later streets until your opponent plays back at you.
- Understand the showdown value of ace high and other such hands
- Get experience

Day 9

Session 1 was a slow start. Before I ended up in another HU match, I was up a whopping 84.67. My HU match was agonizing. A big edge that I had on this guy was his inability to extract maximum value for his hands. The problem was that he kept making huge hands that even he could bet all the way. Often times, I had just enough hand to call down, or at least a draw that would force me to call the turn. I would have been in way better shape if I consistently ran third and fourth pairs into his second pairs, because he wouldn’t be betting those hands at the turn or river. Anywho, I ended up having to reload to CMA when my buy-in dipped below 12BBs. However, I finally caught a few starting hands and they held up and I clawed my way back. The last 50 hands of the match (~175 hands long), the dude simply ran out of tricks. I was reading him as well as I have read any opponent in a HU match. Unfortunately, I was only able to work the damage up to +$150 for the good guys before Empire decided to reset the servers. After what I took from him and what Party took from us, he left with $250 of his initial $500, so he decided he wasn’t coming back for more. Ah well. Session 1: +234.67. I had my first physical outburst of anger of the challenge in session 2 (my poor trash can just took a beat down), where I dropped around $2000 in a matter of 30 minutes before clawing back to -1184.50. Eventually, I’ll stop doing that whole trash can thing. Sessions 3 (+$1676) and 4 (+$371.5) pulled my day out of the ashes and brought me to a total of $1067.67.

Day 10

An unnamed source called me a pussy for not wanting to put in the hours necessary for the challenge. Out of spite, I logged a 1300 hand morning session. +$1044 off the bat. Unfortunately, the session still left me in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. These self-imposed numbers are starting to tick me off. I wish I hadn’t wrote that last sentence. I’m such a baby about these hours. I’ll stop whining now. Two short afternoon session went for +$216 and -$240. The late-night session went for +$1024, which put me up $2044 on the day.

Hands

Hand 1 – A mess. I limp UTG with 33. Clearly a very game-specific play. Co limps, SB completes, BB (basic pf LAG with no postflop skillz…actually the guy from my Day 9 HU match). All call, 4 to the flop. Flop is 8d 6c 5c. BB bets out, I raise, CO calls 2 cold. SB folds, BB calls. Turn is the 8s. Checked to me, I bet, both call. River is the Qd. No draws get home. Checked to me, I check, CO bets, BB calls. I fold.

Hand 2 – Smelling a bluff/thin value bet line with a hand that has no showdown value. I open raise from the CO with KJo. SB and BB call. BB is an OK player with tendencies toward over-aggression. Flop come Q93r. Checked to me, I bet, SB folds, BB calls. Turn is a 7, completing the rainbow. Check, I bet, call. River is another Q. BB bets out, I raise?

Day 9 – Goal: 2500 10/20 6m hands
Results – 1779 hands (HU bonus hands factored).
+$1067.67

Day 10 – Goal: 2500 10/20 6m hands
Results: 2660 hands
+$2044

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-10: 22521 hands (extrapolated: 135126 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-10: $18570.84 ($8570.84 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $111425.04)

Note – I am taking today, Wednesday, September 9th, off. I need to use this day to finally get HULA up and running. Before I catch flack for taking a day off, please note…
- I will still be miserable today. I have to be in front of my computer to handle this, and it is more mudane than playing poker, so this is definitely NOT a recharge day.
- I tried to do HULA work during the challenge, and I just can’t do it. My brain is fried after hand 2500 every day.
- Initially, Day 60 was Thursday, October 28. With this day off factored in, Day 60 will be Friday, October 29. If I go down to the wire WRT the challenge, I will have to work through Day 1 of the Halloween weekend. If you don’t know about UW-Madison traditions, Halloween weekend in Madison is one of the biggest party weekends in America. Working on that day will suck…a whole lot.

whiskeytown
09-09-2004, 10:43 AM
suck it up, you baby.... I'm sitting here at some mind numbing job while you're living the poker dream, goddamn it... grow up - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hell, at the rate you're going, you'll be at 60K before day 60 and can use the party weekend to party hardy....

rock on

RB

stoxtrader
09-09-2004, 11:07 AM
33 UTG? save your brainpower for better conditions, what game specific factors make this playable?

KJo unimproved on the river - since you certainly can't call, and the pot it worth fighting for, I can forgive a raise. It's an agressive read based play tho and it sounds like this was the guy to do it against.

best of luck - BTW, if you are already behind on hand totals I'm willing to bet you even money up to 100 that you dont get there hands wise.

DeeJ
09-09-2004, 12:11 PM
gonores, this is great stuff. I think you're doing fantastic.

Brown-nosing out of the way, there's nothing much wrong with limping UTG with 33 6-handed. But I've been following the maxim no-set-no-bet with the low pockets and it has been saving me money.

Second hand I also raise kojak in cutoff. Who loves you, baby? River raise is worth it if he'll fold once in a while.

gonores
09-09-2004, 12:32 PM
33 hand - well, for one, it has to be loose passive. There were two 55% VPIP 4% PFR players to act behind me, and the one true LAG at the table was in his LAG-tastic position, the BB. Furthermore, I have the ability to iso-raise BB post-flop when I go unimproved if I so choose (say if the board comes paired or with a duece), so a 3-4 handed flop isn't a disaster.

Re:the hands challenge. I'd take you up, but if I do in fact hit 60k before day 60, I'm done. Besides, given my own moodified hand-scoring system, I can make my hand requirements pretty easy just by stepping up to 15/30 6max tables and/or loosening my requirements for challenging a player to a HU match. Right now, I'm just afraid of changing anything in my routine.

Pirc Defense
09-09-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
33 UTG? save your brainpower for better conditions, what game specific factors make this playable?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't expect a raise behind you, but do expect a multi-way pot, playing a low pocket pair up front isn't all bad.

stoxtrader
09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
well, gonores defended himself nicely, and who am i to disagree with that?

it all depends on how multiway you think it will get and how likely there is to be a raise, in that order. A third factor is that you are in terrible position to maximize your hand should you hit it, generally speaking (relative position remains to be seen).

multi-tabling and playing lots of hours I would argue also makes this play less valuable. My guess is gonores makes this play less than 10% of the time and only under conditions he described above. you only need to win 7.5SB to make it profitable if the pot goes unraised and you hit your set, which I agree is very possible.

joker122
09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't expect a raise behind you, but do expect a multi-way pot, playing a low pocket pair up front isn't all bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

His comment would make more sense if you were familiar with the 10/20 SH game.

gonores
09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
You guess right. PT says I limp with 44-22 UTG 8% of the time.

nykenny
09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River raise is worth it if he'll fold once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

base on that, i recommend raising on the river every pot if you are there on the river!

DeeJ
09-09-2004, 05:57 PM
U pay me 2BB every time, no problem /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Was there a deeper meaning to your point, if there was it missed the grey matter completely....

Joe826
09-09-2004, 06:28 PM
good post man. can we get a second installment of heads-up lessons?

Schneids
09-09-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

An unnamed source called me a pussy for not wanting to put in the hours necessary for the challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't me, was it? I could totally picture myself doing that. Oh, the irony.

gonores
09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
No, it wasn't you. You were too busy going to classes like a sellout to encourage me to work for my dream.

Blarg
09-09-2004, 09:46 PM
It wasn't me this time! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wheeler
09-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Is this Abdul's heads-up article?

http://web.archive.org/web/20000417095622/www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=202041450

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey Doug,

With the massive influx of 2+2'ers playing online 15/30, and knowing that you and I are one of the very few who make a significant portion of our earn from HU play, I'd appreciate it if you kept the HU strat discussion to a minimum. If not for that, then for the fact that HULA's coming up now, in which, by the way, my team is going to work yours over. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GoT

PS. I completely forgot until just this very moment, but I was planning on giving you my HULA earnings from the first season. Problem is I have no clue how much that was...Do you have records or a good memory??

gonores
09-10-2004, 08:00 AM
That'd be it. Good find.

gonores
09-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Guy,

I appreciate the gesture, but accepting any sort of monetary contribution would be, for lack of a better word, trivializing the entire effort. The poker conversations I've had with you and other HULA players (conversations that could never have taken place without me being in the position I was), have paid off way more than any monetary payout. And I don't mean that in that cute little "I value my friendships more than money" way either. I mean that in the "talking to you made me make more money at the poker table" way. If me withholding that info will keep you from sending that money, then consider the documents destroyed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only ask that you (and others) offer the same consideration to my thugs...er...my co-commissioners for this year, Sheriff Fatman and Rugbyrat.

In remark to your first comment, I shall offer up Lesson 2:

Opponent selection is key. There is this one fish on Party that goes by the name of GuyOnTilt. He's susceptible to being goaded into playing HU matches. Total fish. If you like money, challenge this guy to a HU match. Tell him to bring his credit card.

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2004, 08:33 AM
I mean that in the "talking to you made me make more money at the poker table" way.

That just sounds like another way of saying "I value my friendships more than money" to me. But seriously, I get the same value out of our convo's and I wasn't the one working my ass off during the HULA season. I had already set my mind on this and I think you do deserve it, regardless of what you say, so think of it like that group present that high school athletic teams give their coach at the end of the season. Except from just me. And in a really impersonal form like cash.

There is this one fish on Party that goes by the name of GuyOnTilt. He's susceptible to being goaded into playing HU matches. Total fish. If you like money, challenge this guy to a HU match. Tell him to bring his credit card.

The key to being a successful HU fish is to find fishier HU fish to play HU and similarly avoid the non-fishy HU players, a skill which I have been forced to master. Thus, I have recently changed my screen name and am now...incognito. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

GoT

PS. You get up way too early. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

turnipmonster
09-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I am surprised that you guys play a lot heads up on party, where the rake is a killer. you must feel it's worth it despite the huge rake?

--turnipmonster

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I am surprised that you guys play a lot heads up on party, where the rake is a killer. you must feel it's worth it despite the huge rake?

Yeah, the rake absolutely sucks headsup. I only play against players who I have a very significant edge over. It's usually over 2 BB/hr taken off the table, but even with the high drop some players are good for more probably over 5 BB/hr. It's rare that these players will donate more than 2k before giving up though. There are two HU fish in particular though who just keep coming back to play me. One's dropped over $8k now and the other over $5k. One's a really friendly guy who just sucks at headsup and the other is a guy who kept making death threats against me because he insists that I'm somehow cheating and that "I'm going to pay." As he's being dealt his next hand of course. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif It was pretty comical for a while.

GoT

gonores
09-10-2004, 03:19 PM
OK, let's compromise.

Cut a check for $37.50 (your cut from HULA I) to your local First Tee Program, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Make a Wish, or some other worthy cause. I'd just blow the dough on hookers and booze anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
PS. You get up way too early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you can figure out when I'm conscious and when I'm unconscious. I can't quite figure where I am at since the challenge started. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gonores
09-10-2004, 03:22 PM
When you have a fish out there that needs to settle a vendetta against you, you do all you can to facilitate his demise. If that means your cut is $20 or $30 light at the end of the day, so be it. It's a small price to pay to ensure that he isn't going to go anywhere as you two decide upon a site, a table, etc. Just get him playing as fast as possible.

djack
09-11-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thus, I have recently changed my screen name and am now...incognito. :

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, you don't mean the easily identifiable incognito name (that is, it wasn't GuyOnTilt) you had awhile back, is it?

Cos that name was pretty cognito.

djack
09-11-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think an excellent compromise would be to give each electoral district its own electoral vote. The cost/benefit on fighting over single districts would spread out the campaign dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this is that it provides an even greater incentive to redistrict in a heavily gerrymandered fashion.

I say keep the electoral college and the federalist system for which it stands.

GuyOnTilt
09-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Uh, you don't mean the easily identifiable incognito name (that is, it wasn't GuyOnTilt) you had awhile back, is it?

No, I realize that name was very easily identifiable for anyone who reads these boards. When I first made it, I didn't really care. But I recently got an unbeatable rake offer and took it, so as I said I am now...incogito. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GoT

gonores
09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
You bring up an excellent point, but cmon...if gerrymandering is going to happen, it is gonna happen whether or not they change the electoral system. The only thing that will happen is the ramifications of said gerrymandering will be amplified.

[ QUOTE ]
I say keep the electoral college and the federalist system for which it stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it funny how few people who were on their soapboxes in 2000 ever stopped to wonder why the electoral college was created the way it was.

-Pre-emptive argument appeasement: although I am a conservative, I am not naive enough to believe a number of Bush supporters would not have reacted in the same way had the situation been reversed. So please...save the politically-driven commentary.