PDA

View Full Version : Chip spewing blind defense

Rico Suave
09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I was reviewing my hands last night and came across this artfully played blind defense. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I had not played many hands at the table, but the sb seemed pretty tight, and not afraid to raise.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Rico is BB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Rico calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Rico calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Rico raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Rico caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Rico calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between SB and Rico.</font>

I think the river is fine..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been trying to defend against apparent steal raises more liberally....but K4o? Anyone play here? I wasn't, but then thought that since I had position on the stealer, I would take a look at the flop.

Aside from going 1 bet too many on the turn--at least in my assessment--does the post flop play look ok? Smooth call on the flop okay, HU?

--Rico

sfer
09-09-2004, 09:40 AM
I prefer just raising the flop rather than waiting for the turn. A lot of people make moves in stealing situations and he probably won't give you credit for a flopped monster there.

Why didn't you raise the river? If the SB is aggressive enough you often have the best hand here.

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 09:40 AM
You did not go one bet too many on the turn. Play was fine all around.

-Michael

daveymck
09-09-2004, 09:44 AM
I fold pre flop (as usual)

Raise the flop.

Once you raise the flop the hand may play different.

Not sure I cap the turn but heads up is an art in its own.

I agree the river is fine.

spamuell
09-09-2004, 09:44 AM
If the SB seems tight, I fold pre-flop. In fact, even if the SB doesn't seem particularly tight I fold pre-flop. Against all but the very loosest opposition I fold here (have you seen backdoor's classic defending the blind with K3o thread?).

I think I just call the turn 3-bet. If sb was looser then I think capping is fine but as another two pair is very unlikely, SB like has K9, a set or AK so I just call although it feels weak.

spamuell
09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you raise the river? If the SB is aggressive enough you often have the best hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you put SB on, given that he is also tight?

Luv2DriveTT
09-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Am I the only one that is wondering why Hero even bother to defend the blind?

A. Its a 3/6 game... low stakes!
B. The defense is against $3 dollars, the hero's pocket is a high card unsuited. With A4 I might see this if I wanted to gamble, but K4 - nope
C. K4 is a hand that you would only want to use in a multi-way pot. The additional small bet investment payed off this time, but it will be -EV in the long run
D. In a tight agressive game where the table routinely folds around to the blinds is the only time I would consider this defense. But then again if a 3-6 game is that tight, its time to find a different table.

ok - discuss amungst yourselves. Before I read SSHE I would have probably done the same as Rico Suave, Now my thought process has changed as you can clearly see!

PS: why didn't you raise on the river? Did you think your opponent held 53 or KK? I loved the Cap on the turn, clearly the Villan thinks he has the best hand on the river or he is just foolish.

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 10:32 AM
It totally depends on the raising standards of the SB. But often, even if they are tight, you can call with a wide range of hands as you can use position to gain extra bets and steal pots.

If you are a good heads up player, you should not be folding hands with Ks in them against SB raises unless you are in a high rake game.

-Michael

sthief09
09-09-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer just raising the flop rather than waiting for the turn. A lot of people make moves in stealing situations and he probably won't give you credit for a flopped monster there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's what I was thinking. a flop raise looks like a re-steal.

sthief09
09-09-2004, 10:36 AM
you have position and your hand is among the best headsup. it does mean, however, that you'll have to call down if you flop a 4.

sfer
09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah, good point. A river raise is pretty nutty unless he's a total LAG.

Monty Cantsin
09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A. Its a 3/6 game... low stakes!
B. The defense is against $3 dollars...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought A was a joke, but then B starts off with the same idea. The only thing that's relevant here about 3/6 is the game dynamic and the blind structure. The dollar value of the chips shouldn't matter, especially if you are seeking to learn and improve your game. Should he wait til he's playing 30/60 to figure out how to handle this situation?

/mc

Rico Suave
09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Stheif:

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, that's what I was thinking. a flop raise looks like a re-steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But often I have raised the flop (or c/r) against a steal and they fold like a house of cards. At 3/6, it seems that many opponents will steal raise with lots of hands, but will pack it in when shown aggression and they do not hit. I got greedy here, and did not want him folding on the flop or to a turn bet.

You guys are probably right though...play it faster on the flop.

--Rico

Rico Suave
09-09-2004, 12:47 PM
sb had 99 for the flopped set.