View Full Version : Calling with small pairs

ddubois
09-09-2004, 09:19 AM
People do it to me all the time and it pisses me off, because often enough my AK loses to 55. Should I have been a hypocrite here, given the overlay and the size of the blinds? And if so, do I 1) come over the top, 2) stop and go, or 3) call and push any no-ace no-king flop?

***** Hand History for Game 929368204 *****
Table Table 14436 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: P0K3RM4N ( $2860 )
Seat 3: bksrba ( $1268 )
Seat 6: racecamper ( $2175 )
Seat 7: JFB315 ( $1200 )
Seat 10: Lasagna_6 ( $497 )
Trny:5741837 Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to P0K3RM4N [ 6c 6s ]
racecamper folds.
JFB315 raises [700].
Lasagna_6 folds.
P0K3RM4N folds.
bksrba folds.
JFB315 does not show cards.
JFB315 wins 1000 chips

ddubois
09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
No one has any opinions on this? It comes up pretty often. I tend to dutifully fold anything smaller than 88 when calling, based on what I've read here, but given that I had villan comfortably covered, I think I should have broke my common line.

Does it whether the villan made a raise that seemingly has pot-committed himself, or a push?

poboys
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
At this point, most people are all-in or nothing. Does he vary his raise size by his starting hand strength?

Has he ever folded to a re-raise or has he ever pushed pre-flop?

Given no answers to the previous question I autofold. You have him comfortably covered, but won't be very comfortable shortly thereafter if you lose.

tubbyspencer
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Well I think your fold equity is pretty low here, since he's already committed more than half of his stack. And the more gap concept/fold equity a low pair has, the better the push.

That said, your fold equity is probably not 0, and you can push, be called, lose and still be in 3rd place. Although you'd be in nowhere near the good position you are now.

I think it's close actually, but I vote fold. (Of course in real life I'd probably push - lol.)

TheDrone
09-09-2004, 05:43 PM
How would you characterize the villain's play prior to this hand?

Without doing any EV calculations, my gut still says fold without a good read that puts villain on a wide range of hands you are ahead of, like Ax and Kx, to offset the pocket pairs that put you really behind.

I'm just not sure what to think of the villain's unusual bet, which is also where a read would be helpful.

Thinking more about it, even if villain showed AK after betting, I would probably still fold and wait for a better opportunity.

patrick dicaprio
09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
you dont have a huge lead here and if he had a really good hand like AK he would probably go all in given the size of the blinds and if he had a high pair he would probably just call.if he folds he is still ahead of one player. i would tend to push here as it may be that he is weaker than normal and as long as he doesnt have a higher pair, which i think is unlikely, you are ahead. usually players with 88-JJ will push here and QQ-AA will call.

Pat

stripsqueez
09-09-2004, 09:00 PM
i think this is a routine fold

i am a near certainty to get into the money from here - i wont play super tight to hang on but i much prefer to be the one offering action rather than accepting it - let the other guys make the marginal and/or desperate plays

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Cry Me A River
09-10-2004, 01:18 AM
I'd really, really hate to call here with small pockets unless the guy's been stealing like crazy. And even then I'm holding my nose... If he's playing reasonably, you're almost certainly way behind (bigger pockets) or virtually a coinflip with most reasonable push hands (AK-A7, KQ-K7, hell QJ-Q7). Given that you have the chip lead and you're way ahead of the 3 smaller stacks I'd wait for a better spot and avoid the GAMBOL!